AGR World MasterCard offer: 20,000 points plus $100 bonus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C&O RR

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I assume this is not a targeted offer. This is how I got the offer to appear

Start the booking process for a trip, you do NOT have to complete the booking. Login to your AGR account. Pick a date. I then did rvr to kcy, and selected the premium option (any type of bedroom will do), then added it to my cart. Now you are on the screen where your AGR info is entered. Next you need to click on the "continue" button at the bottom of the screen.

If this is not targeted, you will see this. You do not have to complete the booking any further to get the offer just click on the "Apply Now" button. The offer will give you 20,000 points plus $100 and then charge you an annual $79 fee (so you net $21). You can cancel the card before the second year's annual fee is posted

Get a $100 statement credit and a 20,000 bonus points offer

IC_Banner_Card_Image.png

with the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard®

1. Apply now and, if instantly approved, use your card today.
  2. Earn 3X the points on your Amtrak purchases.
  3. Get a $100 statement credit* and 20,000 bonus points after spending at least $1,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of opening your account.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great deal, and depending on your needs, potentially better than the 30k deal that has popped up before on the card

At the 'usual' conversion rate of 34.5 points per dollar value, 20K 'freebie' points equates to almost $580 worth of Amtrak tickets. For me, that's a major portion of my annual vacation trip! Needless to say, when AGR switched credit card companies, I didn't hesitate to get the 'free travel' 20K points. It doesn't hurt that using that card to buy Amtrak tickets adds up points in a hurry and even 1000 Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) for each $5,000 spent per calendar year on the card on anything (limit 4K points). That combined with a fair number of Amtrak trips the past 2 years have gained me Select Plus status. For me, at least, AGR 2.0 works better than AGR 1.0 did.

On the downside, your credit rating will take a slight hit when you apply for the card. If you later cancel the card, it will take a bigger hit due to the reduction of total credit dollars available.

On the downside, your credit rating will take a slight hit when you apply for the card. If you later cancel the card, it will take a bigger hit due to the reduction of total credit dollars available.
This may or may be true, it depends on each individuals credit condition.

Credit line: How much you can borrow in total on all your credit cards, home equity, and others that have granted you a credit line.

Credit Usage: The percent of your credit line that you currently owe. Let’s say that your credit line is $100,000 and the actual amount you owe today is $9,000 so you have borrowed 9% (9,000/100,000) of your line of credit.

If you are just starting to build or rebuild your credit line (do not apply for new card until 6 months have passed) make sure that your credit usage on all your current credit lines on your current is low. 10% or less is really great but 90% and over is a big red flag to lenders. Any credit lines (credit cards, etc.) have a high credit usage, pay it down first. You want it to look like you don’t need the credit and that you are doing the banks a favor by taking their cards.

If you already have good credit line and your credit usage rate is low then getting a new card will have almost no effect on your credit score.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s no real conversion rate of points to dollars since the point redemptions are based off many things not just cost. A trip up the west coast may be a different amount of points then the same fare on the east coast. With that being said that’s a nice chunk of points!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back