Using the LAX Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choochoodood

Service Attendant
I will be taking the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle into LA later this year, with Sleeping Car accommodations.

The scheduled arrival time is 5:35 am (IF we are on time of course). However, the rental car agency does not open until 8:00 am (they will be picking us up at the station).

I believe I read somewhere that Sleeping Car passengers can use the Metropolitan Lounge to wait, but I'd like to find out if this is indeed true. It would certainly be better than waiting in the "common areas" of the station.

Anybody know the facts?

Yes, you can use the Metropolitan Lounge. However, it does not open until (I believe) 6 am. So if you arrive on time at 5:35, it will not yet be open. (I have arrived before 5 am before.)

My recommendation is if you have checked baggage, DO NOT claim it right when you arrive (it will be held and locked up) and walk the 2 short blocks to Philipe’s for breakfast. When you return, you can claim your baggage and then wait in the Metropolitan Lounge.

You can wait in the ML since it opens very early to accommodate the 1/421 arriving passengers. They have minimal continental breakfast items, so if you want a good breakfast (none served on the SL arriving LAX) follow the above suggestion. If you prefer items you can purchase from the Union Station stores like Starbucks, you can eat outside in the courtyard. I like the outside, so I will at least take a cup of coffee and sit outside for a while (weather permitting).

The Sunset can be early into LA so be ready for a very early arrival. I sleep-walked into Starbucks (which is right in the station) and just hung out there until it was time for the first Surfliner train to board.

Have you checked surfliner schedules? I don't drive at all (never have) but renting a car in LA seems like a very stressful idea to me.... maybe you could catch an early surfliner and get part way to your destination and then rent a car from there? Just an idea that may or may not work.

I will be taking the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle into LA later this year, with Sleeping Car accommodations.

The scheduled arrival time is 5:35 am (IF we are on time of course). However, the rental car agency does not open until 8:00 am (they will be picking us up at the station).

I believe I read somewhere that Sleeping Car passengers can use the Metropolitan Lounge to wait, but I'd like to find out if this is indeed true. It would certainly be better than waiting in the "common areas" of the station.

Anybody know the facts?
Yes you can. You can use the lounge on arrival. The rental car desks are right next to the elevator to the lounge. Are you not renting from the station location?

I believe Amtrak is supposed to open the Metro Lounge around the time that the Sunset Limited is scheduled to arrive. However, this is a relatively unique situation that may or may not always go according to plan. For instance, the lounge may be closed when you arrive or it may be managed by a surrogate attendant for the first hour or two. The original solution was to allow (sleeper) passengers to simply remain on the train until the Metro Lounge was open. In my view that was the best resolution outside of adjusting the unnaturally early arrival times. Unfortunately that is no longer the case and you may have to wait in the lobby until the lounge is ready for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I last rode the Sunset into LAX on the way to the Portland Gathering last fall, we arrived @ 5: 00am and had to wait upstairs by the Lounge Doors by the Elevator till 530am when the Lounge attendant opened up.

Checked in,dropped my stuff and headed to Philippe for the Combo Breakfast!

Anybody know the facts?
Yes you can. You can use the lounge on arrival. The rental car desks are right next to the elevator to the lounge. Are you not renting from the station location?
No, we're not renting from the station's rental locations. The nearest location for us is on Figueroa, but they will pick us up at the station. We need to have a car because we're working our way gradually up the coast to many different locations, and the Surfliner just didn't work for our itinerary. But that would have been the ideal option for a railfan such as myself.

Anybody know the facts?
No, we're not renting from the station's rental locations. The nearest location for us is on Figueroa, but they will pick us up at the station. We need to have a car because we're working our way gradually up the coast to many different locations, and the Surfliner just didn't work for our itinerary. But that would have been the ideal option for a railfan such as myself.
Got it. I'm not sure what your itinerary is but just an FYI, Oxnard is another good place to rent a car. Pretty much the whole of Oxnard Airport's passenger terminal is now a rental car building. I've taken the Surfliner up to Oxnard and was picked up and dropped off at the station by Hertz. I've noticed that the rental rate in Oxnard seems to be way cheaper. First train to Oxnard leaves at 7:35 and arrives at 9:19. All of the major rental agencies are in Oxnard in or around the airport so just check to see if its a better value.

Just an idea if your itinerary and schedule works.

Renting a car downtown LA is expensive, the hours difficult, and the traffic is impossible. I did it at AVIS at LAUS. Took a while for the agent to complete the agreement even though I am a Preferred Member, later the return had to be after hours so had a problems handling the keys and the contract. The procedure of course did not work so I was charged a penalty. I had an appointment where I needed a car, but another time I used the Red Line then a short Uber ride. My daughter drives in LA with no issues ever, but for me it is extremely stressful with the traffic and the unknown arrival times, when you can't be late. All I can say is pad your schedule. Oh! I also remember this summer people complaining that there were no cars brought over in time from LAX for renters to leave when the desks opened.

Anybody know the facts?
Got it. I'm not sure what your itinerary is but just an FYI, Oxnard is another good place to rent a car. Pretty much the whole of Oxnard Airport's passenger terminal is now a rental car building. I've taken the Surfliner up to Oxnard and was picked up and dropped off at the station by Hertz. I've noticed that the rental rate in Oxnard seems to be way cheaper. First train to Oxnard leaves at 7:35 and arrives at 9:19. All of the major rental agencies are in Oxnard in or around the airport so just check to see if its a better value.

Likewise, the Burbank station is a stone's throw from Burbank airport's car rental options.

Anybody know the facts?

Likewise, the Burbank station is a stone's throw from Burbank airport's car rental options.
Got to be careful of airports. They are usually priced higher and have much more taxes and fee's. Oxnard Airport is different since they don't have any regional air flights anymore. They price their rentals at a much lower cost than busy SoCal Airports.

Oxnard $228.27

Burbank $488.51

Price above is the total price for each location. July 04 - July 11 Compact.

I'm heading in to LA Union Station in mid-August and not getting there until after rental car options at the station are closed, so I was going to get a hotel close to the station that night and then head back to the station in the morning to rent a car that I can return to LAX Airport a few days later before we fly out. I think the pricing from Budget was something like 150 dollars for four days which isn't bad, with no mileage restrictions. I just wish the rental car option at the station was open until after the Coast Starlight gets in. We're pretty much going to lose an entire night of doing things in LA because we'll get there around 9 p.m. and have to get an uber/taxi to a nearby hotel and no transportation until the morning.

The Doubletree is within walking distance without significant luggage and has car rental in the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

We need to have a car because we're working our way gradually up the coast to many different locations, and the Surfliner just didn't work for our itinerary.
Just wanted to make sure you're aware that Highway 1 is closed in the Big Sur area due to a mudslide last year and expected to stay that way until at least this fall. (It doesn't show up on Google Maps if you're just viewing the area, but if you try to get driving directions for a trip that would ordinarily include that stretch, you'll see the closed portion.)

Official Caltrans site

The Doubletree is within walking distance without significant luggage and has car rental in the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
That's pretty convenient. Just looked it up, hoping it was 24 hours but it isn't. Boo. Would still be closed by the time I got there and have to wait til morning. Considering the pricing, it would probably still be better to just go back to the train station and use Budget in the morning. If that Hertz inside the hotel was open 24 hours though, that would be awesome.

There is the Airport Express Bus from Union Station that you could use to get a car at LAX that night since you are returning it to LAX and would still pay the LAX taxes and fees on the return.

We need to have a car because we're working our way gradually up the coast to many different locations, and the Surfliner just didn't work for our itinerary.
Just wanted to make sure you're aware that Highway 1 is closed in the Big Sur area due to a mudslide last year and expected to stay that way until at least this fall. (It doesn't show up on Google Maps if you're just viewing the area, but if you try to get driving directions for a trip that would ordinarily include that stretch, you'll see the closed portion.)

Official Caltrans site
Yes. I'm aware of that. (But thanks for the "heads up.") I've driven that route before and had intended to do so again on this trip because it is one of the most spectacular drives in the world. However, through the CalTrans website, I found an alternate route from US 101 to CA 1 that avoids the landslide reconstruction work. That route is through the village of Jolon and then over the coastal mountains to the CA Route 1. This should make for an interesting drive as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had fun renting my car at LAX a few years back. It seems you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, your cars don't have gear sticks, and your roads are super wide! I also found that the car rental street maps don't show every street. I must have been braver back in those days!
default_biggrin.png

Ed.

You must have missed the guys who suddenly on one of the interstates do 360s then start driving against the flow. All just for FUN!! Witnessing that not just once but twice a couple years ago is enough to make you stay off the highways. This and the motorcycles that race at tremendous speeds between the slowed lanes of traffic, many time no muffler.

I had fun renting my car at LAX a few years back. It seems you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, your cars don't have gear sticks, and your roads are super wide! I also found that the car rental street maps don't show every street. I must have been braver back in those days!
default_biggrin.png

Ed.
Good you survived the (insanity? lunacy? ) whatever -- Los Angeles isn't "totally" insane as some would have it.

Actually, (like so many say) good place to visit, but you can't afford to live there

You must have missed the guys who suddenly on one of the interstates do 360s then start driving against the flow. All just for FUN!! Witnessing that not just once but twice a couple years ago is enough to make you stay off the highways. This and the motorcycles that race at tremendous speeds between the slowed lanes of traffic, many time no muffler.
Ugh ok. Seems like what your describing is daily life on the road and nothing unusual.

Most of the really crazy driving seems to occur in the first few weeks after each Fast & Furious movie. In the grand scheme of things I find custom pickups in Texas to be just as bad as modified sports cars in California. Different vehicles but the same lawless invisibility mindset.

Back