Rocketmiles & reward points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanavc

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Has anyone here booked their hotel through Rocketmiles? They have an Amtrak reward promo going on, but I'm leery of booking through someplace I'm not familiar with.

I've never used them, but I believe other members here have and had decent luck with them (the reservation went through fine to the hotel and the points posted promptly after the stay.)

I will advise, however, to check the hotel's website directly to compare. Typically Rocketmiles charges the standard regular price for the room but restricts it to a non-refundable rate. Most hotels sell those at 10-20% less than the standard refundable rate, so Rocketmiles basically pays for the miles out of that difference plus the commission they charge hotels as a travel agent. It'll also be a third party reservation, which hotels typically won't count as stays for hotel points or rewards tier benefits (for example, some hotels offer high-tier members free breakfast, but that typically won't apply to a third-party reservation.)

For some people, though, those downfalls are minor compared to the points earned through a Rocketmiles booking. As long as you're going in with the right mindset, a Rocketmiles booking should be fine.

I've done it, also while they were running an Amtrak promotion. No issues at all.

I have, for American Advantage miles. Not all hotels in the locale are listed, and I find prices a bit higher, which means you're probably paying for those points.

If I can find a hotel $100 or under with Rocketmiles offering 1000 points it's worth it.

It costs about $38 to buy 1000 points I check the Rocketmiles price,Trivago and the hotels website. If the other prices are more than $40 below Rocketmiles it's not worth it. Iv e had good luck with Rocketmiles. Later this week I got a Microtel that is only $10 more than the lowest price elsewhere.

I went through them once a few years ago—there were no problems and my points posted quickly. Having said that, their prices are not great. I would only use them if the points you’re getting in return are substantial.

It costs about $38 to buy 1000 points I check the Rocketmiles price,Trivago and the hotels website. If the other prices are more than $40 below Rocketmiles it's not worth it. Iv e had good luck with Rocketmiles. Later this week I got a Microtel that is only $10 more than the lowest price elsewhere.
Why would value points based on how much Amtrak charges to purchase them rather than on how much Amtrak credits you when redeeming them toward a trip?

Back