SAS on TE (#421) on an April Fri

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcropod

Lead Service Attendant
Assuming Texas Eagle 421 keeps to schedule at SAS when it joins with the Sunset Limited Train 1, it arrives there at 2155h and departs at 0245h next day.

If a person wanted to have a mooch around San Antonio for some of that time to expose themselves to local culture, how feasible is it and what would be your suggestions?

I'm interested in non-touristy things. I have a preference of experiencing how life is for those who live there when I travel. I'll not especially need to eat anything (but could if there was something particular to the area recommended). I'm fully ambulant and I'm not timorous.

I'd prefer to get around on foot, to and from the train, if that were feasible.

As I read my schedule, I'd be there on a Friday evening/night in late April on the way between CHI and LAX.

We have had several threads on this very thing through the years. If you'd like you can Google up this info, pretty much everything there is to know about this topic will be there.

If not, let us know,lots of AUers have good info for you about this layover.

We have had several threads on this very thing through the years. If you'd like you can Google up this info, pretty much everything there is to know about this topic will be there.

If not, let us know,lots of AUers have good info for you about this layover.
Thanks for that Bob, I did have a look around before posting, and saw your post of 2012 amongst some others

"When you get off the Train go past the AMStation towards the Old Sunset Depot and the SP Steam Engine Parked beside it, youll come to Commerce Street, turn left and walk West a Couple of Blocks under the IH37 Underpass towards Downtown! The Denny's is on your Right about Two Blocks past the Underpass, you can't miss it! You might even want to walk on to the River Walk (Couple of more Blocks on your Right to River Walk Mall, Marriot Hotel etc.) and take a Quick look around, it's sort of a Bourbon Street on the Water but worth a Visit! If you eat or drink @ the Joints along the River bring $$$ or Plastic, they're typical Tourist Traps!
angry.gif
The Alamo is also Closed @ night but is Lighted and lots of Tourists are in Alamo Plaza taking Pics etc."

I am certainly interested in any other good current info about the chances of being exposed to this interesting part of your country in the four or so hours I might be there, assuming the schedule is met. I reckon it's the only bit of that part of your country I'll get a chance to see at walking pace, and I understand it will have a culture not duplicated elsewhere on my 19,000 km upcoming trip across north America.

I've checked out various trip advisor accounts, but it's proving difficult to hone in on things which might be available during that evening/night four-hour stopover. Like you say, as I reckon that's a common stopover for AU members, some might have suggestions which are a bit more targetted.

I'll stick with an update to my old post, and recommend the same places.The Riverwalk and Downtown San Antonio are a huge Tourist draw and the area is well lighted and safe.Youll probably have a few panhandlers ask for "spare change" but shouldn't have any problems long as you stay on this route.

When you detrain, check with the New #421 SAC before you leave the train (since the One from CHI is replaced by a New one for the trip to LAX)As to when you can reboard your Sleeper after the Switching is done to #1.The Station is small,crowded and not a pleasant place to wait to reboard.

Then head West on Commerce Street to Alamo Plaza ( it'll be to your right one block past the River Center Mall on the River).Check out the Lighted Outside of the Chapel.

Then cross the Street to the Historic Manger Hotel and visit the Famous Bar where Teddy Roosevelt allegedly recruited hos famous Rough Riders for the Spanish/American War. Worth a drink if you partake of Spitits!

After that head for the Hyatt Regency on the River Walk which is across the Street from Alamo Plaza.The walk is lined with an artificial Creek with Water Falls that lead to the Lobby and,out on to the RiverWalk.

Turn left and heck out all the various Clubs,Cafes,Stores etc along the River.

Go as far as the Arneson Open Air Theatre (past the Hilton Hotel).

Then head back up Commerce towards the Station, if you're hungry or just want a snack or drink, stop in to Dennys ( on your left in front of a High Rise La Quinta Hotel)and join the Night people,Tourists and fellow Amtrak Passengers before heading back to the Station to re-board and get ready to roll West @245am.

Last time I did this I was asleep before the Highball.

I'll stick with an update to my old post, and recommend the same places.The Riverwalk and Downtown San Antonio are a huge Tourist draw and the area is well lighted and safe.Youll probably have a few panhandlers ask for "spare change" but shouldn't have any problems long as you stay on this route.

(snip)
Many thanks for that. I have made notes accordingly :)

Is there anything particular to San Antonio or that part of the country which I should look for if I sought to eat (or drink) anything?

San Antonio has some excellent Mexican food along the River Walk (one level below street level). Most restaurants on the Riverwalk stay open until 11PM on Friday and Saturday. If the 21/421 is on time leaving Austin and San Marcos, the odds are good that the arrival time in SAS will be an hour early.

Some good info here, most of which is new to me. I also learned the meaning of "timorous." Also new to me.

Seriously, I see an Amtrak trip in my future that might include this very stopover. Sounds safer than a few others I've done. I'm just a little "timorous."

San Antonio is a neat place to visit. If you spend s couple of days , venture out into the Hill Country. It’s a beautiful area.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

If a person wanted to have a mooch around San Antonio for some of that time to expose themselves to local culture, how feasible is it and what would be your suggestions?
If you want to see college kids drinking themselves into an uproarious stupor then it's extremely feasible.
default_wink.png
Head toward the River Walk and simply follow the noise. You can see the Alamo along the way, although it will be closed as previously indicated, and the other missions aren't that close on foot. The main problem is that you're visiting in the middle of the night when most attractions will either already be closed or getting ready to wrap up for the night. This isn't New York or Los Angeles, it's sleepy San Antonio.

I'm interested in non-touristy things. I have a preference of experiencing how life is for those who live there when I travel. I'd prefer to get around on foot, to and from the train, if that were feasible.
The Riverwalk area has in many ways become a tourist trap. Complete with the usual Hard Rock this and Ripley's Believe that. Which may sound bad at first, but that was kind of the point of building it. After many of the original businesses packed it in and moved it out much of downtown San Antonio was slowly converted into a mass tourism and convention area. That doesn't mean it's a bad place to visit, and some of the areas downtown are genuinely interesting and attractive, but it's not the sort of place locals tend to spend a lot of time visiting unless we're entertaining friends or family from out of town.

I am certainly interested in any other good current info about the chances of being exposed to this interesting part of your country in the four or so hours I might be there, assuming the schedule is met. I reckon it's the only bit of that part of your country I'll get a chance to see at walking pace, and I understand it will have a culture not duplicated elsewhere on my 19,000 km upcoming trip across North America.
Despite our size San Antonio can be surprisingly slow and quiet at night. We tend to go to bed early and sleep in late and most of the culturally significant attractions will be closed during your brief stay. You can still see them from the outside but reaching most of them on foot seems rather impractical to me. So visit the Riverwalk and have a couple drinks and maybe get a bite to eat, but if you want to see the real San Antonio you'll have to set aside some daytime hours to really develop an authentic feel for the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good info here, most of which is new to me. I also learned the meaning of "timorous." Also new to me.

(snip)
Always happy to help :)

But to be fair, I had the advantage of being born in Scotland, where one of its famous sons wrote a poem in the late 1700s, well known by all Scots, which begins:

“Wee sleekit, cow’rin’, tim’rous beastie,

O, what a panic’s in thy breastie!”

Back