Food in and around PSNY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NY Pizza Suprema, 31st Street and 8th Avenue, across the street from Penn Station.

If you have the time and the funds for something more than 'fast-food', I'll pay it forward, and recommend this restaurant that I learned about in an earlier thread on this same topic right here....It is just a few blocks away from Penn Station....

http://www.keens.com

The Tracks Lounge just to the east of the LIRR ticket windows.

Long bar, fresh oysters, and clam chowder in a bread bowl if you like seafood.

Two slices of roni at the suggested pizza joint.
So how was it? Looks so much better than the usual Doughminos or PlasticJohns. We have a couple by-the-slice places here but they really only make two kinds of pies. If you order anything other than cheese or pepperoni they simply add your toppings to an already baked cheese slice. Which means the moment you pick it up the toppings all fall off and then you're back to a cheese slice at twice the price.
default_dry.png

If you have the time and the funds for something more than 'fast-food', I'll pay it forward, and recommend this restaurant that I learned about in an earlier thread on this same topic right here....It is just a few blocks away from Penn Station....http://www.keens.com
Were the steaks especially tasty and flavorful? The photos give it a lot of character but at first glance the menu seems a bit overpriced. I know it's NYC but $18 for an iceberg wedge with tomatoes and bacon? I'm not uncomfortable paying extra for a truly exceptional meal but it's not like lettuce and pork are scarce ingredients and there's only so much culinary sophistication you can add to a conventional lettuce wedge. Makes me wonder how much the other items might be marked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
keens is a very good steakhouse. The thing about that area is that there are so many good choices at almost all price points, cuisines, and restaurant types from hole in the wall to top shelf. The 5 years I worked in that area were a time of major weight gain.

So how was it? Looks so much better than the usual Doughminos or PlasticJohns. We have a couple by-the-slice places here but they really only make two kinds of pies. If you order anything other than cheese or pepperoni they simply add your toppings to an already baked cheese slice. Which means the moment you pick it up the toppings all fall off and then you're back to a cheese slice at twice the price.
default_dry.png

If you have the time and the funds for something more than 'fast-food', I'll pay it forward, and recommend this restaurant that I learned about in an earlier thread on this same topic right here....It is just a few blocks away from Penn Station....http://www.keens.com
Were the steaks especially tasty and flavorful? The photos give it a lot of character but at first glance the menu seems a bit overpriced. I know it's NYC but $18 for an iceberg wedge with tomatoes and bacon? I'm not uncomfortable paying extra for a truly exceptional meal but it's not like lettuce and pork are scarce ingredients and there's only so much culinary sophistication you can add to a conventional lettuce wedge. Makes me wonder how much the other items might be marked up.
My meal there consisted of the 'wedge', the 12 oz. filet, and fries.....certainly nothing sophisticated, but this 'meat and potatoes' guy was very satisfied....I highly recommend it....I would put it against any of the well-known Manhattan steak houses, and I've tried a good sampling of them....

Depending on how much time you have and how far you want to walk, Hill County has some really great BBQ at good prices. It’s one of my all time favorite restaurants https://hillcountry.com/nyc/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

default_dry.png

I've been to supreme several times and highly recommend it. Pretty sure it's the best by-the-slice place I've been to in NYC.. and it was rated #1 by the blogger who literally tried every NYC pizza place several years ago.

They have several different types of pies.. my favorite is the eggplant pizza... it's crazy good... if you're into that kind of thing. ha.

I forgot the one place that I go into Penn station for lunch, Shake Shack.

DA, the slices I had were very good. Messy but good. And I paid a decent price too. For 2 slices of pepperoni and a large coke it was $11.50. Which IMO for NYC is a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

When I go, I get one slice of mushroom pizza (and no drink since I always have water with me). I pay $4.50. Up until about a year ago it was $4.00. They do not take credit cards for purchases under $10.00 and they do not sell beer, but their pizza is great.

When I had a layover in New York, I ate at Macy*s, which is just a couple blocks away. There is an Italian restaurant with views of the Empire State Building, and four food trucks plus a bar-and-grill in the basement.

When I go, I get one slice of mushroom pizza (and no drink since I always have water with me). I pay $4.50. Up until about a year ago it was $4.00. They do not take credit cards for purchases under $10.00 and they do not sell beer, but their pizza is great.
Penny, I normally have two slices of pizza no matter where I go. I think for the first time I could have gotten away with one. But either way the price for 2 slices and a large soda for NYC is a great price!

Depending on how much time you have and how far you want to walk, Hill County has some really great BBQ at good prices. It’s one of my all time favorite restaurants https://hillcountry.com/nyc/

YES!! I so miss Hill Country BBQ in DC. Always recommend it to anyone I can.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Thanks for the indirect suggestion. Lol!! I will say that banana pudding was amazeballs. I bought a medium and crushed it in less then 5 minutes.
default_ohmy.png

Back