Former Wisconsin Talgos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photos of them on the BookFace as well. Chicago, Pueblo, then up to the NW...
Source on final destination please. Havent see anything other than Pueblo. Just wondering how solid.
https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=FRA-2018-0005-0001&attachmentNumber=1&contentType=pdf

There are currently two Series 8 Talgo train sets that were constructed and put into storage at Amtrak's Beech Grove Facility prior to 49 CFR 238.131 going into effect, and have never been in service. In order to support the train service owned by the Washington State Department of Transportation, Amtrak desires to now put these two Series 8 Talgo train sets in service.

Source on final destination please. Havent see anything other than Pueblo. Just wondering how solid.
https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=FRA-2018-0005-0001&attachmentNumber=1&contentType=pdf

There are currently two Series 8 Talgo train sets that were constructed and put into storage at Amtrak's Beech Grove Facility prior to 49 CFR 238.131 going into effect, and have never been in service. In order to support the train service owned by the Washington State Department of Transportation, Amtrak desires to now put these two Series 8 Talgo train sets in service.
To be fair, that letter is a year old. Not saying they arent headed to the Northwest (because that would be a logical thing to do), but the request in Amtraks letter isnt related to the derailment.

To be fair, that letter is a year old. Not saying they arent headed to the Northwest (because that would be a logical thing to do), but the request in Amtraks letter isnt related to the derailment.
True. I figured that since it was stamped received earlier this month that it was a precursor to this move, but it definitely doesn't mean that the move happened because of the derailment (and really this whole line of discussion should probably get spun off into a separate thread).

Pure speculation, but after the #501 wreck, Amtrak pledged to make Oregon and Washington whole (in stark contrast to the aftermath of the Cambers Bay #506 incident when Amtrak wrecked the train, and then told the state they would have to pay for Amtrak replacement equipment). The Chambers Bay wreck last July took an Oregon-owned set out of service, and this wreck nailed a Washington-owned set.

The two Wisconsin sets may have enough differences from the two Oregon sets that testing at Pueblo is needed. Rumor has it that the sets will then go back to Talgo in Milwaukee for some mods (maybe converting one or more cars to business class?), then out to the PNW to free conventional equipment, add the set needed for the additional round trip promised with the bypass and provide some margin for maintenance. As I said, pure speculation, but with the PNW short Talgos, and two sitting idle in Indiana for a couple of years and now moving around, it's possible to connect the dots.

That letter is not a year old. It is from January 2, 2018. The letter typo'd 2017 for 2018 - post New Year hangover. Look at the received stamp date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a video of the special move at Cameron, Illinois by Bobby Harvey Video Productions.

For the two Talgo set to be used in the PNW money is needed. Some of those funds will go to Wisconsin, if I recall correctly. Just missing the dots. Or maybe the testing is need in CO first.

Still one of the ugliest cab cars in the US. Unfortunately, the Charger doesn't help, even if there was a baggage car with the "sweep" in between.

default_wacko.png

Wisconsin never paid for the Talgos, thanks to Scott Walker. They're still owned by Talgo. Talgo closed its Wisconsin operations completely, thanks to Scott Walker. (Apparently they reopened in late 2016 to refurbish some LA Metro subway cars, though.) In the settlement of Talgo's lawsuit against Scott Walker for breach of contract, it was agreed that Wisconsin could receive up to 30% of any payment for a successful sale of the trains, but not more than $9.75 million (and there may also have been a time limit on that). Wisconsin receives 30% of a net amount *after* Talgo's costs of storage and marketing are subtracted, so I'm guessing they won't be getting much if anything (Talgo has been marketing the cars for years and storing them for years).

I don't know whether Amtrak or the states of Washington/Oregon are purchasing the Talgos -- I'm going to guess Amtrak is doing so to compensate Washington and Oregon for the losses caused by the crashes. I'm pretty sure they're not paying list price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification.

Not unhappy with idea that Wisconsin will be missing out on a windfall of funds.
Unfortunately, missing out on those funds was the decision the people of Wisconsin made when they elected Mr. Walker and his people into office.

Its official the 2 Talgos are going to the PNW
Well now I've heard that they're going to the PNW, to Milwaukee, and to Beech Grove again. Just need to hear that LOSSAN is taking them and I think we'll have covered all the options...
Well, there was talk about that a while back, as well as a rumor that Michigan was interested in them.

Its official the 2 Talgos are going to the PNW
Well now I've heard that they're going to the PNW, to Milwaukee, and to Beech Grove again. Just need to hear that LOSSAN is taking them and I think we'll have covered all the options...
Well, there was talk about that a while back, as well as a rumor that Michigan was interested in them.
This is now a settled question.

On Railroad.net, bostontrainguy posted this info he found from the Federal Register online:

Amtrak plans to lease two articulated Series 8 trainsets from Tren Articulado Ligero Goicoechea Oriol (Talgo) to support its Cascade intercity service.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-0 ... -01959.pdf

This is the split topic concerning the former Wisconsin Talgo trainsets heading for the Pacific Northwest. The original topic on the Cascades #501 derailment can be found HERE.

Talgo must be very happy, going back where they are and will be appreciated. LOL. They've had a very good relationship with the Cascades for 20 years or so, but were treated shabbily by Scott Walker and the Koch Brothers. Hope Talgo doesn't take a loss on these trains after all the mess.

OK, neat little detail there: if Amtrak is *leasing* the trains from Talgo, Wisconsin gets *nothing*, because their deal was that they got a percentage of any *sale*, and a lease isn't a sale.

Are the existing PNW Cascades Talgo cars long term leases, or are they owned outright?

Back