WiFi on trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will depend on which route and for what purpose you wish to use the wifi. I think the wifi is pretty good on the Silver Service, Northeast Corridor, Acela and some state supported routes. You will not be abe to download, but I have no issues with reading emails, accessing AU, and googling.

Is using 4G from my wireless provider more reliable ?
Probably. That's what I do, but be careful not to go over on your data usage. In my experience the Northeast Regional has terrible wifi: it's slow, even to an unusable speed. I haven't tried the upgraded wifi on the Acela, but hope to soon.

I am using the wi-fi on the LSL right now. It's quite acceptable, but different apps give different results. My webmail keeps telling me "the message does not exist", but I'm able to post photos to facebook with no trouble. Go figure. Of course, no streaming. Youtube is blocked.

They may have it, but not everyone subscribes to it. Since most places I am at have wi-fi, I don't use much mobile data. I have a package that includes 6 gb of data with rollover of unused. Why pay for something I will never use.

They may have it, but not everyone subscribes to it. Since most places I am at have wi-fi, I don't use much mobile data. I have a package that includes 6 gb of data with rollover of unused. Why pay for something I will never use.
True.

So I will be traveling with on the Crescent. Does anyone know how the service is on there. Wondering if I will be able to use my Netflix app or should I bring my portable DVD player to watch movies. I will be on the train for 26 hours. Thanks!

So I will be traveling with on the Crescent. Does anyone know how the service is on there. Wondering if I will be able to use my Netflix app or should I bring my portable DVD player to watch movies. I will be on the train for 26 hours. Thanks!
Crescent WiFi was surprisingly good from what I remember last year. You won't be able to stream though.
Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Same! I use AT&T Prepaid.

The wifi is horrible on the Pere Marquette. I upgraded my phone to a 4G and I'll see how it works when I take a day trip to Chicago a couple weeks from this coming Sunday.

Probably. That's what I do, but be careful not to go over on your data usage. In my experience the Northeast Regional has terrible wifi: it's slow, even to an unusable speed. I haven't tried the upgraded wifi on the Acela, but hope to soon.
I find the opposite. In many areas in Virginia on the Regionals, and Oregon on the Cascades, I am able to connect to the WiFi service and actually connect to the web while my phone wouldn't have a data connection. Think about the size of the antenna in your phone, versus the size of an antenna for the train car.

So really...the train will be able to hold a signal better. However, -when- your phone has a signal it will probably be faster than the train's connection.

Also, for what it's worth, the Acelas and Cascades do not block Netflix, while the Regionals do. Not sure about other services, but I would imagine it would be blocked since there's only one modem in the lounge car on the Amfleets

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I find the opposite. In many areas in Virginia on the Regionals, and Oregon on the Cascades, I am able to connect to the WiFi service and actually connect to the web while my phone wouldn't have a data connection. Think about the size of the antenna in your phone, versus the size of an antenna for the train car.
So really...the train will be able to hold a signal better. However, -when- your phone has a signal it will probably be faster than the train's connection.
That's fair, but I mostly travel on the NEC, where the sheer number of devices connected is just too much for that one modem. Consequently, the speed drops dramatically.

That's fair, but I mostly travel on the NEC, where the sheer number of devices connected is just too much for that one modem. Consequently, the speed drops dramatically.
That's certainly a difference. I've been told each Acela car has its own modem, for what it's worth.

Netflix isn't blocked either, which was great for my layovers in DC!
default_biggrin.png

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I travel fairly regularly on the Crescent, and the WiiFi is usually good. Of course, tunnels and mountains occasionally disrupt the signal, but that's not too often.

The wifi is horrible on the Pere Marquette. I upgraded my phone to a 4G and I'll see how it works when I take a day trip to Chicago a couple weeks from this coming Sunday.
I’m currently on the PM and miracle of miracles the WiFi has been pretty good since I boarded in Holland! I’ve not had to use my phone once. The same was true on my return trip.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
We rode on the CS in Business northbound last week. When we boarded at midnight in SAC the car attendant tried to give us a card with the wifi password. Since my laptop was in checked baggage I declined. He did give us 2 $6 coupons for food. The food cards still say that they are good in the Pacific Parlor Car, dining car and the lounge/cafe car.

Yesterday i signed up for the bonus points for riding in Business Class. I got the email that said I was signed up and listed among the benefits was the invitation to the wine and cheese tasting in the PPC.

Ironic huh? We were still eating our $12 breakfast and coffee when we pulled into KFS 40 minutes early.

It really does depend on the train. I've found the Northeast Regional and Silver Meteor's WiFi fast enough for most things - sometimes it's even fast enough for Netflix streaming. Don't count on any train having great, reliable WiFi, but I'd say it's sufficient for most people's needs when traveling.

Back