Multi-City option

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, one of the numerous failings of the new 'improved' Amtrak site is that it doesn't list 'round trip' and 'multi city' as choices on the initial screen. It's not intuitive that one needs to click the 'arrow' or the 'one way' option to reveal 'round trip' and 'multi city' choices. But then, the rest of the reservation screen(s) isn't terribly intuitive, either.

Unfortunately, ever since programming was put in the hands of 'professionals with know how', trying to make things usable from the primary users point of view has always been a problem. Simply put, the programmers have no idea of what John Q user is thinking or their skill level at navigating the various screens. These days, the trend seems to be use a series of 5-6 screens to handle 'the idiot' users but at the same time, only the programmers themselves are adept at navigating their way through the 'mess'. It confirms the 'dumbing down' of society in general. Yes, I'm an old geezer mainframe computer consultant that spent 4 years in the human engineering research laboratories of the USAF. Our goal was to make <whatever> more usable (aka, efficient, aka, faster interaction & response times) for those whose jobs (and lives!) depended on their using <whatever>. Yes, much of it was classified and still is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The software developed for end users, was field tested with the end users in Alpha testing. Programmers many times were shocked how their screens were miss-interpreted. This step, though adding to the development cycle, improved customer satisfaction. Today, managers want updates completed with the least cost and the shortest time, then let customer service deal with the user complaints about using the new screens.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use AGR points for a multi-city itinerary. I got frustrated as the points option disappeared when using multi-city.

I would call instead of doing it on line. There is no cost to call.
The rub there is that the routes I wanted to take were not allowed. I wanted to take the Cardinal from WAS to CHI but leaving from RVR the approved routing was to take the thruway bus from RVR to CVS which I did not want to do. In the past iteration of the Amtrak website this could be accomplished but I've yet to figure out how with the new site.

Unfortunately, ever since programming was put in the hands of 'professionals with know how', trying to make things usable from the primary users point of view has always been a problem.
I think you are missing the point. In order to be "with it" websites have to be designed to look like cell phones where you have to guess how to access features. The Windows common user interface that made it easy to transition from one program to another is now "dated" and boring.

It took me stopping at a cell phone store to figure out how to answer my Android phone (duh!). Tapping on the phone image that popped up didn't do it. The correct answer was to long tap the image, swipe right, and whistle Dixie (OK, the last was sarcasm). It didn't help that the user manual forgot to mention the long tap step. An icon with the word Answer on it would be not socially acceptable.

The rub there is that the routes I wanted to take were not allowed. I wanted to take the Cardinal from WAS to CHI but leaving from RVR the approved routing was to take the thruway bus from RVR to CVS which I did not want to do. In the past iteration of the Amtrak website this could be accomplished but I've yet to figure out how with the new site.
Book them separately? Book RVR-WAS with cash then WAS-CHI with points?

I think you actually have to whistle The Battle Hymn of the Republic (a la Madeline Kahn in “Young Frankenstein”)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Book them separately? Book RVR-WAS with cash then WAS-CHI with points?
I get that, but using the old website I was able to book the entire 4 segment trip multi city using points. As far as I can tell using the multi city tool precludes the use of points. I was going to try to post screen shots but the Amtrak website is not responding as I write.

I wanted to take the Cardinal from WAS to CHI but leaving from RVR the approved routing was to take the thruway bus from RVR to CVS which I did not want to do. In the past iteration of the Amtrak website this could be accomplished but I've yet to figure out how with the new site.
Your preferred routing comes up for me just by plugging in RVR-CHI.

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 8.37.50 PM.png

I wanted to take the Cardinal from WAS to CHI but leaving from RVR the approved routing was to take the thruway bus from RVR to CVS which I did not want to do. In the past iteration of the Amtrak website this could be accomplished but I've yet to figure out how with the new site.

attachicon.gif
I wasn't clear on the post you quoted. The screen shot you provided shows the Cardinal connection RVR- WAS using dollars not points. I was trying to book with points. I just tried a 2/16/18 departure, RVR-CHI using points and the only Cardinal connection is the thruway bus from RVR to CVS. I get the same result if booking with cash.

attachicon.gif
I wasn't clear on the post you quoted. The screen shot you provided shows the Cardinal connection RVR- WAS using dollars not points. I was trying to book with points. I just tried a 2/16/18 departure, RVR-CHI using points and the only Cardinal connection is the thruway bus from RVR to CVS. I get the same result if booking with cash.
Seems to be the date that's an issue. I just tried it and got what you got. Then I tried 2/11 and got 98/51 with cash and with points.

attachicon.gif
Seems to be the date that's an issue. I just tried it and got what you got. Then I tried 2/11 and got 98/51 with cash and with points.
Thanks to you and Ryan for taking the time to do research and help me out.

Someone above asked my exact question and several sidetracks later it is still not answered.

Can points be used for a multi-city trip?

For the heck of it I just was able to book POU to ALB and then ALB to SYR as two separate one-way trips using points, but when I tried to do POU to ALB to SYR on the same exact trains as a multi-city trip point usage was not an option.

Someone above asked my exact question and several sidetracks later it is still not answered.

Can points be used for a multi-city trip?

For the heck of it I just was able to book POU to ALB and then ALB to SYR as two separate one-way trips using points, but when I tried to do POU to ALB to SYR on the same exact trains as a multi-city trip point usage was not an option.
Call and ask. There are a lot of things that work on a phone that don't work on the computer. Most of them involve common sense and, although it may be lacking in a few employees, it is completely missing in a computer.

I've booked a multicity itinerary on points before, but needed to call AGR to do it. It's been a while, though, so rules might have changed. Suggest you call AGR and ask--and I'd be grateful if you'd please post back here what your results are.

I echo Tricia, I've booked several AGR multi-city trips without any issue. However, I did not even try to use the website for it as they all involved sleeper travel and I am a bit picky about room choice, so never book sleepers through the website.

Thanks for the feedback. The NRHS convention in summer 2020 is in Fullerton and was experimenting to see how I can get there by rail using California Zephyr. I know it would be easier to take SW Chief, but I have ridden that train already, but never CZ. I don't even know the 2020 dates yet, so I was using dates in June 2019 figuring the web site may not go that far out. have plenty of time to call. First, though, a drive to Salt Lake City next week for the 2019 convention. I know I could ride the CZ there, but I have not geocached that part of the country and want to be in Fort Worth for an event later in May, so a car is a must.

Back