And the Sunset Limited?

Houston,San Antonio,Alpine,El Paso and Tucson.

Maple Leaf

Niagara Falls, ON (Northbound)

Niagara Falls, NY (Southbound)

Do you know if there are any others? I would think Albany-Rensselaer would be a stretch stop as well, if not Syracuse, Rochester, and/or Buffalo-Depew.
This is correct and sometimes you can also get off in Utica if on time!

I didn't realize Utica can sometimes be called as a smoke/stretch stop, IF the train is on time going through there on Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, and etc. Interesting to learn. When I took the Lake Shore Limited a few years ago going back from NYC to Chicago, Utica wasn't called as such a stop for passengers going through there to later destinations to briefly get off to stretch/smoke/etc.

Edited by dogbert617

And the Sunset Limited?

I believe those are engine crew change points.

I found it interesting to note the stops on the Meteor between Savanah and Washington DC.

I’ve always been asleep and missed them and am usually eating breakfast during the DC stop.

And the Sunset Limited?

I haven't been through Houston on the Sunset Limited, but San Antonio Alpine, El Paso, and Tucson were all smoke stops when I rode #2/#422 earlier this year.

And the Sunset Limited?

I haven't been through Houston on the Sunset Limited, but San Antonio Alpine, El Paso, and Tucson were all smoke stops when I rode #2/#422 earlier this year.

Already stated by Bob Dylan (Jim) yesterday.

And the Sunset Limited?

Where? I didn't see.

And the Sunset Limited?

Where? I didn't see.

Look in this quote....

Look in this quote....

Oh, I saw that post. My post was responding to Palmetto, who had corrected Jim that those stops were engine crew change points, and not smoke stops. So I was responding that they were smoke stops when I rode it.

That quote is YOUR quote that YOU yourself posted!

That quote is YOUR quote that YOU yourself posted!

This one is (obviously) mine...

...but I was talking about to (and I think AmtrakBlue was as well) this post by Bob Dylan:

And the Sunset Limited?

Edited by cpotisch

Note your own post (#51), and the 2nd quoted post entry by Bob Dylan.

Note your own post (#51), and the 2nd quoted post entry by Bob Dylan.

At this point I'm probably just hallucinating, but I don't see a post #51 anywhere, and only see one post by Bob Dylan, which was quoted and responded to by Palmetto, who I responded to. I'm totally derailing this thread at this point, though. :wub:

At Portland, OR, you can't smoke on the platform, and you need to go out the building to smoke, per memo by the City of Portland.

Also, I heard that smoking is prohibited at Sacramento Valley Rail Station platform and building. Can anyone verify or refute my claims on Sacramento being a non-smoking stop?

I have seen passengers smoking on the platform in Sacramento. I also had a morning when the Zephyr and Capitol Corridor met and the CZ passengers were smoking. A guy came off the CC, looked at the smokers at the end of the platform then ran to an SCA and started insisting on his conductor. A conductor showed up, listened to the guy rant and then walked down to the smokers. They finished up and walked away. I heard later that smoking was not allowed but it wasn’t an enforced rule. So as of a month ago, people smoked on the end of the platform but I have no idea if it is official not allowed.

I have seen passengers smoking on the platform in Sacramento. I also had a morning when the Zephyr and Capitol Corridor met and the CZ passengers were smoking. A guy came off the CC, looked at the smokers at the end of the platform then ran to an SCA and started insisting on his conductor. A conductor showed up, listened to the guy rant and then walked down to the smokers. They finished up and walked away. I heard later that smoking was not allowed but it wasn’t an enforced rule. So as of a month ago, people smoked on the end of the platform but I have no idea if it is official not allowed.

Never have ridden Coast Starlight(Seattle-LA), but I believe I've supposedly heard from others who've ridden that train that the Sacramento platform is non-smoking. I'll guess that rule isn't enforced, just as I'd suspect....

I have been to Sac multiple times. Once every so many minutes, this announcement will show up that the TTS announcer will say:

...smoking is prohibited in and around the platform...

And of course, I have yet to see someone busted there for smoking.

Grand Forks, ND is not a smoke stop. It's usually blocking a crossing while there.

Grand Forks, ND is not a smoke stop. It's usually blocking a crossing while there.

I just looked over arrival and departure times, and I think you're right that it isn't a smoke stop unlike what I thought for the Empire Builder. I am starting to think Winnemucca, NV might be a smoke stop for the California Zephyr, looking at its arrival and departure times from that station on most days.