Fresh Air (Smoking) Stops on the Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevalDragon

Train Attendant
I have booked a trip on the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Burbank on February 4th, the last day for the PPC. Where are there stops that would be long enough to get out, stretch and take photos of the car? The timetable only shows Portland and the 3 Bay Area stops. I'm sure they are more and they just don't show in the timetable.

From my observation, fresh air stops should also likely be: Eugene, Klamath Falls, Sacramento, Salinas, San Luis Obispo. Not sure about Santa Barbara.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

You also will have a break in Sacramento ( its a long way to the Station via the tunnel from the Platform),Davis and Martinez in addition to the 3 Bay Area stops.

Also Paso Robles and Santa Barbara usually allowsfor a brief break if close to the carded Calling time.( Don't leave train side).

It may be dark by the time you reach Santa Barbara in the Winter, and depending on the OTP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the train isn't running late, Sacramento is usually a long stop. South of San Jose, you can't count on it, but anywhere with baggage service (Salinas, SLO, Santa Barbara) might have enough dwell time for a smoke (some coach attendants certainly think so :). There are no boardings south of Santa Barbara, so they tend to push, although Oxnard and Van Nuys have baggage service.

Schedule permitting, the designated stops are PDX, KFS,EMY, OKJ and SJC. However, you can pretty much count on PDX and SAC since they are service stops as well.

When I rode a few weeks ago Emeryville was not a stretch stop. However, we were late and there was an extended stop in Oakland to remove two private cars so I don't know if that is normal.

While there may be several smoke stops usually on LD trains, I don’t think there are any “guaranteed” smoke stops. And if an LD train is detouring, there may be none. For example, I’ve ridden a detouring CZ between Denver and Salt Lake City, and a detouring CS between LA and Oakland with no smoke stops enroute on either 8-hour-plus journey.

Smoking Policy
All Amtrak trains, Thruway buses and stations are entirely non-smoking. No one may smoke anything in any area on trains, on Thruway services, in stations or in any other location where smoking is prohibited. This includes:

Electronic smoking devices, such as electronic cigarettes.
Marijuana. The use or transportation of marijuana for any purpose is prohibited, even in states where recreational use is legal or permitted medically.
Smoking Stops May Be Available

If time and conditions permit, passengers may smoke on station platforms at longer stops only as announced by train crews. Smoking elsewhere and at other times is not permitted
Passengers must remain next to the train, ready to re-board immediately upon hearing the sound of the locomotive horn and the all aboard calls from Amtrak employees.
Smoking stops may be shortened or eliminated entirely if the train is operating late.State or local laws may prohibit smoking on station platforms.

While there may be several smoke stops usually on LD trains, I dont think there are any guaranteed smoke stops. And if an LD train is detouring, there may be none. For example, Ive ridden a detouring CZ between Denver and Salt Lake City, and a detouring CS between LA and Oakland with no smoke stops enroute on either 8-hour-plus journey.

There are some stop that are always lengthy due to a large number of people boarding/detraining and/or equipment reasons such as refueling, combining/splitting the train, or performing an engine change. Examples of these include Jacksonville, Washington, Denver, Albuquerque, Spokane, San Antonio, and Albany-Rensselaer.

Last edited by a moderator:
San Luis Obispo is a 13 minute stop in both directions... it's just not shown on the CS timetable, but is on the Pacific Surfliner timetable at the back.

SLO is a crew change point for the CS, so a fresh air break is most definitely possible

Unless things have changed PDX is a fresh air stop but smoking is not allowed on the platform or in the station. Also, the doors to the tracks close ten minutes before departure so If, as the old song goes, ya gotta have another cigarette, check before going out the front doors.

On a good day 11 should arrive into PDX an hour before departure. Its carded for an hour to go between Vancouver into Portland. And it's a thirty minute stop.

Unless things have changed PDX is a fresh air stop but smoking is not allowed on the platform or in the station. Also, the doors to the tracks close ten minutes before departure so If, as the old song goes, ya gotta have another cigarette, check before going out the front doors.
Does that mean you have to exit the platform, and walk through the station and then to the street to smoke at Portland? Good to know, and I'll remember that if I ever ride the Coast Starlight. And of course, to be careful about doing that if a station stop is shortened.

I would not be surprised if smoking was banned entirely within the city limits of Portland. Like San Francisco, where you must drive to Daly City to take a puff, according to the skits on “Prairie Home Companion”.

Everytime one of these threads about fresh air (smoking) stops I think about this.

First, while I am not a smoker, I am an extreme organizer (dare I say, compulsively obsessive) when planning for travel of any kind. According, (if I was a smoker), I think I'd pack nicotine patches, rather than hope and rely on the "fresh air" stops.

So my question is, for smokers if this: is this not an agreeable option?

I am serious and most definitely not being snarky or trying to start anything... just curious.???

:)

Back