Can get points need to book trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjgiss

Train Attendant
I have been trying for the last week and a half to find out on Amtrak website how many point needed for a trip and continually get error unable to book with points continue using a credit card. What gives?

I am confused by your statement. Are you trying to determine how many points you need, or are you trying to book a trip using points?
default_huh.png
If trying to book and the website is giving you problems,why not just call AGR to book the trip?

I've noticed a problem recently with trying to use the website to book a trip using points if the trip involves Midwest corridor trains. As an example, if I search for CHI-NYP (a trip that would take place on LD and possibly NEC trains), there is no problem, the point total is displayed. But if I search MKE-NYP (a trip that would involve a Midwest corridor train [Hiawatha] as well as LD and potentially NEC trains), I get the error message OP mentioned.

I was just doing some very preliminary planning so I didn't call AGR or follow up with Amtrak/AGR about what the problem may be. I assumed it would be a short-term/temporary glitch that would disappear by the time it mattered to any more serious planning I would do. Guess it hasn't gone away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed a problem recently with trying to use the website to book a trip using points if the trip involves Midwest corridor trains. As an example, if I search for CHI-NYP (a trip that would take place on LD and possibly NEC trains), there is no problem, the point total is displayed. But if I search MKE-NYP (a trip that would involve a Midwest corridor train [Hiawatha] as well as LD and potentially NEC trains), I get the error message OP mentioned.

I was just doing some very preliminary planning so I didn't call AGR or follow up with Amtrak/AGR about what the problem may be. I assumed it would be a short-term/temporary glitch that would disappear by the time it mattered to any more serious planning I would do. Guess it hasn't gone away.
Gltches don't disappear if the programmers don't know they exist. Contact Amtrak (via their FB page or Twitter are good ways) and let them know of the glitch.

Gltches don't disappear if the programmers don't know they exist. Contact Amtrak (via their FB page or Twitter are good ways) and let them know of the glitch.
Already done. Did so after reading here that it was an ongoing problem.

It's working for the Michigan Services routes. I submitted feedback a couple days ago. I wonder if it had something to do with the schedule change? Maybe one code borked another.

Anyway, you should be able to book your trip online now.
default_smile.png

the_traveler

I'm trying to see how many points I need for a trip.
AGR points are valued at 2.9 cents each. Find the fare in dollars and do the math. ex: $1000 in Amtrak travel costs 29,000 points. The only exception to the rule is the Acela train for which AGR points are only worth 2.6 cents.
Wrong. There are other exceptions, like former black out dates.

the_traveler

I'm trying to see how many points I need for a trip.
AGR points are valued at 2.9 cents each. Find the fare in dollars and do the math. ex: $1000 in Amtrak travel costs 29,000 points. The only exception to the rule is the Acela train for which AGR points are only worth 2.6 cents.
Your math is wrong. If 1 point was worth 2.9 cents, then a $1,000 ticket would cost approximately 34,500 points, not 29,000.

Back