Newport News, VA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Court Jester
Despite having lived in the 7 cities for longer than I ever thought, and still traveling there frequently for "pleasure" (the in-laws are actually fun, and I'm not just saying that because my father-in-law reads the board), I've never actually been into the station at NPN.

What's the rental car situation like? The rocket surgeons at work booked me with Enterprise up on J. Clyde, but looking at a map it seems like there are several closer options. These are the same geniuses that booked my outbound train a day late (despite booking my rental car for pickup on Wednesday and a hotel for me Wednesday night, I'm on Thursday morning's 67).

Is it a dreadful place to wait, or is there some decent train watching to be had? I may end up with some time to kill before 66 leaves, and I can find plenty to occupy me elsewhere if there's not anything worthwhile at the station.

The closest car rental agency is probably the Avis/Budget on Mercury Blvd. It’s five minutes away and would only cost a few dollars for an Uber.

(1) Are you on 67 or 95?

(2) Living about two miles from the station (I can, in theory, walk), there's not a lot beyond an occasional train coming or going. Down in the coal yards, however, I've seen a few 1950s-vintage locos doing switcher duty in the past.
(3) The station itself is pretty non-descript. I think my favorite part is the fact that despite all of this, they assigned the name "Lafayette Square" to said station...which in the area makes it sound like it's some old town square, perhaps in a shopping district or something else CW-ish. It's not. It's just the parking lot.

Edit: If you're inbound, it's train 66, not 67.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t want to start a new topic so I’ll ask this here. Has anyone ever parked overnight at the Norfolk station? I looked online and saw that there was long term parking in a section of the Harbor Park parking lot. Do I need to get a decal or something from the station indicating that my car is there for long term parking? Or do I just park and go?

Didn’t want to start a new topic so I’ll ask this here. Has anyone ever parked overnight at the Norfolk station? I looked online and saw that there was long term parking in a section of the Harbor Park parking lot. Do I need to get a decal or something from the station indicating that my car is there for long term parking? Or do I just park and go?
Just park and go. I've left my Jeep there for as much as 5 days. Never had any problem. Even my E-ZPass remained unmolested
default_smile.png
Just make sure you park within the cordoned-off area designated as Amtrak parking and not in the baseball parking area. It's obvious, even in the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just park and go. I've left my Jeep there for as much as 5 days. Never had any problem. Even my E-ZPass remained unmolested
default_smile.png
Just make sure you park within the cordoned-off area designated as Amtrak parking and not in the baseball parking area. It's obvious, even in the dark.
Thanks.

Back