Guest Guest

superliner family bedroom

Guest Guest

My wife and I and 3 and 5 year old are considering taking the Empire Builder from Red Wing, MN to Whitefish, MT in a family bedroom in February. For meals, do the kids get to only choose from the kids menu or can they order off the regular menu as well?

Also, I understand when you book a sleeper you have to pay the base fare plus the room charge. It's too bad they don't let you book a 20% off saver fare and then add the room charge as this would be cheaper. Is there anyway to get around this? I guess they figure if you can afford a sleeper the difference in saver fare vs. base fare won't matter. We are NARP members so I understand that does discount the base fare 10%. Thanks for everyone's help!

Kids can order anything on the menu.

The price is the price.

When booking a sleeper, the rail fare is the lowest bucket Value fare.

Coach passengers booking the same day you do may be paying a higher bucket Value fare.

Yep. There are no discounts that apply to Saver fares and Saver fares are lower than a low bucket Value fare with the 15% discount Amtrak formally gave to Seniors and others.

Edited by KmH

The kids can order anything on the menu. The rail fare is the lowest and like said above may be lower than what a Coach passenger is paying at the same time you book.

Guest Guest

Thank you to everyone for your advice!

As for booking the family bedroom on train 27/28 vs. 7/28, I know they are both the same train and the 27/28 sleeper is on the back and a longer walk to the diner. Being a railfan I also like to be in the back car for the railfan window. Any big negatives to booking the Portland sleeper that anyone can think of?

I would say to go with whichever f

Thank you to everyone for your advice!

As for booking the family bedroom on train 27/28 vs. 7/28, I know they are both the same train and the 27/28 sleeper is on the back and a longer walk to the diner. Being a railfan I also like to be in the back car for the railfan window. Any big negatives to booking the Portland sleeper that anyone can think of?

I would say to go with whichever room is less expensive. When I rode to Portland last January, the railfan window was too dirty to see through.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.