Trip Report Alaska Railroad (Denali Star)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paul,

A very nice report, and great photos too. Yet another train trip I ought to make!

As my son has a nut allergy, I was surprised to notice that almonds seem to feature in all the menu offerings in your shot, not a problem for me, anyway!

I feel inspired by such trip reports, and should get around to writing up my autumn 2017 trip to India, instead of sitting on my ***
default_biggrin.png

The Wordpress presentation looks very neat, too.

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report. My sister lives in Fairbanks, so we spend days 93 miles inside Denali NP at a private lodge called Camp Denali. One morning we caught Denali almost clear. This place isn't cheap, but everything is included, and has the best views and the best guides. Love Alaska. The trip south past Turnagain Arm is a great trip that the train also takes. We watched the Beluga whales cows teaching their young to catch fish, then caught the unique event of the receding tide being overlapped by the incoming tide of a one foot wall of water. Thanks again for the great trip report.

As a follow-up, the Gold Star service how includes the meals - quote from their web page:

"GoldStar tickets include meals, all soft beverages and two complimentary adult beverages per trip for passengers over 21."

@Lonestar648: That's good news. The meals by the way were delicious. Unlike Amtrak, but very much like VIA Rail Canada.

@Ed: Yes, Wordpress has a nice presentation (blog) tool, and not so difficult to learn and use. I am not sure the Alaska Railroad is able to cater for people with nut allergies. Oh, and you won't be disappointed on this trip, so I'd say, do make reservations. It's a once-in-a-lifetime-journey.

Nicely done...thanks for taking us along!

Next time you're in Alaska, you'll have to ride the Seward train, which offers different but truly spectacular scenery as well.

On that train's Goldstar service, which I rode last year, diner meals were included in the fare...
default_smile.png

One difference, though, was you could not pass from car to car...only crew could, via the lower level...

Back