Single-level baggage cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious question:

How many coach and sleeper cars is a single baggage car designed to handle? This is assuming that ALL passengers check their large bags as opposed to storing them above their coach seats or in the sleeper car storage areas.

To use an example, the Silver Meteor generally runs with (4) coaches, (3) sleepers, and (1) bag car.

Thanks.

I think the assumption that ALL passengers check their bags is not a realistic one, given 1) the majority of stations don't offer checked baggage service anyway, and 2) even when it's available, many folks will prefer to keep their bags with them anyway, even if they could check them.

On our trip to California in May 2006, the only checked baggage space for the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle was the half-length (actually quarter) lower level of a Superliner Coach/Baggage (no full baggage car operating that day). It was more than sufficient.

Full baggage cars have seldom been strained by passengers' luggage. Back in the day, they earned their keep by using the excess space to handle express and parcels. I think we'll find that there's very few trains that the new baggage/dorms from CAF (when/if they ever show!) can't handle.

I think we'll find that there's very few trains that the new baggage/dorms from CAF (when/if they ever show!) can't handle.
Of course, with only ten baggage-dorms on order, there's also going to be very few trains they can handle.....
default_wink.png

More seriously, the Florida trains are one example where a full baggage car is said to be needed, and was the rationale for the reduction in baggage-dorms in the original order to get more full baggage cars. Obviously, actual capacity also depends on what the cars may be carrying other than luggage, the particular clientele and travel market, and other factors; There's not going to be a specific number of passenger cars per each baggage car.

In the time period where I was shipping a large amount of stuff via APX, I never had trouble getting my packages on the next logical train, next days at the absolute worst. So I'd say they can handle a heck of a lot more than they do now.

I was under the impression that they upped the full Bag count, so as to keep the option open for expanding package service, and not necessarily because they believed that they will see a sudden surge of checked baggage. For that the original mix was quite adequate apparently.

Admittedly, it was an odd tradeoff between more immediate greater Sleeper revenue against some unspecified revenue at some unspecified point in the future, if that is true.

I've seen plenty of baggage cars with the door open, and I have never, ever seen one that even looked remotely full. But assuming that it gets really crazy I'd think it could accommodate all passengers' bags should they start stacking them like on the cargo hold of a plane.

There are only ten. You cannot equip all of Cardinal, LSL Boston Section and the Crescent and yet have shop extra. I would suspect that you could at most field 8 in regular service, which is one less than what is required to equip all three.

But just for the heck of brainstorming, you could equip the Cardinal (even daily if they can pull it off with three consists), the LSL and a hypothetical 65/66/67 with a Sleeper and a Bag Dorm to provide some significant Sleeper space.

In reality though I suspect they will find their way only on two trains.

I was under the impression that if the Card went daily it would need 4 sets, perhaps I'm wrong on that. I believe it is 2 in the present 3 day a week form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that if the Card went daily it would need 4 sets, perhaps I'm wrong on that. I believe it is 2 in the present 3 day a week form.
The present schedule is very inefficient for equipment use. Notwithstanding maintenance needs, you could operate with three sets for a daily service.

The present schedule is very inefficient for equipment use. Notwithstanding maintenance needs, you could operate with three sets for a daily service.
The 2010 Cardinal PIP says that only 3 train sets are needed for a daily Cardinal.

The 2010 Cardinal PIP says that only 3 train sets are needed for a daily Cardinal.
3 sets work if you can reliably turn a consist around in Sunnyside between the late night arrival and early morning departure. Given CSX and its panache at making the late night arrival into even later in the night or very early in the morning arrival, that may or may not be achievable reliably, notwithstanding whatever wishful thinking was written up in the PIP
default_wink.png

You don't necessarily need the Cardinal to arrive on time to send it out on time. If the Cardinal is running late, cannibalize the Crescent, Lake Shore, or Silver Meteor to get it ready. It is hard to imagine it not being in in time for its equipment to turn as part of the later afternoon LDs.

Curious question:

How many coach and sleeper cars is a single baggage car designed to handle? This is assuming that ALL passengers check their large bags as opposed to storing them above their coach seats or in the sleeper car storage areas.

To use an example, the Silver Meteor generally runs with (4) coaches, (3) sleepers, and (1) bag car.

Thanks.

To answer the original question, you can load it with as much as you like providing it fits, you don't exceed the maximum load limit of either 50,000 or 55,000 lbs (I don't remember which) and/or you don't hinder your ability to open/close the doors to load or unload the luggage.

The Cardinal could probably interoperate with the Star (especially since I suspect that a daily Cardinal might well have the same consist as the Star does at present, with the caveat that a diner-as-a-cafe might find its way onto the Star in lieu of the current cafe car as a result). That would give you about another five hours of buffer at New York with the inbound Cardinal (0600 vs 1115), and the inbound Star shouldn't be much worse off vis-a-vis the next day's Star. [1] You could also interoperate with the LSL (which has a similar inbound time to the Star; you've basically got three LD trains coming in during the evening at NYP...one leaves early in the morning, one mid-morning, and one mid-afternoon; if there are delays inbound, the first set in goes out as the Cardinal, the second as the Star, and the third as the LSL), though the LSL's extra coaches (and probably an extra sleeper) might make this a touchy proposition. And of course, there's also the Pennsylvanian through cars...

[1] Yes, I realize that historically there's been an interchange between the Star and the Meteor, but I don't know if this is still the case given the increasing differences in consist (the Meteor usually has one, sometimes two, extra sleepers, an extra coach or two, and the diner).

I've seen plenty of baggage cars with the door open, and I have never, ever seen one that even looked remotely full. But assuming that it gets really crazy I'd think it could accommodate all passengers' bags should they start stacking them like on the cargo hold of a plane.
ONCE, as in literally one exact time, I saw one loaded that much. It was the westbound Capitol Limited a couple days before Christmas in 2013 or 2014 at Pittsburgh. There was quite a mighty pile inside that car.

Every other time on every other train that I've seen inside the baggage car from the platform was more like "here's a suitcase bouncing around on its lonesome."

I think the assumption that ALL passengers check their bags is not a realistic one, given 1) the majority of stations don't offer checked baggage service anyway, and 2) even when it's available, many folks will prefer to keep their bags with them anyway, even if they could check them.
Like Me!!!

I'm thinking the baggage dorms will likely see service on the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited and the Cardinal.
I rode the Lake Short Limited into Boston in November, and the door between the baggage car and my sleeper was left open, giving a good view of . . . lots of empty space. You could have played tennis in there.

Back