Accommodations in Chicago-Missed Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting the next leg of my journey in just about 15 minutes, going STM to NYP, to catch the LSL, and then connecting on to LAX on the SWC.

Over the past week, the LSL has been running dangerously close to missing the SWC connection, some days even missing it. In this case, what will happen upon my arrival in Chicago?

If I miss the connection, what will be provided for me?

Thanks

Depending on the timing of the missed connection. They may bus you, perhaps from a station before CHI, to catch the SWC down the line. Otherwise, they'll put you up on a hotel and put you on the next day's SWC - but there's no guarantee you'll get the same accommodation, as it may be sold out on that day's train.

So I may be put in coach, despite having paid a premium for a sleeper accommodation?
In a word, yes. If that happens you should receive a voucher for the accommodation charge (the difference between sleeper and coach). Alternatively, Amtrak will typically allow you to stay additional days in Chicago (at your own expense) until a sleeper is available.

There are some new "refund" changes, according to a recent thread.

Is the accommodation refund "voucher" mentioned above redeemable for cash and/or refund to credit card. ?

Fingers crossed for a good journey, travel in hope, not in fear!

Ed.

Well, sitting in Club Acela, and the announcement was just made that the trains 19, 91, 97 and 49 are delayed because the equipment is literally frozen, doors are frozen, pipes are frozen.

OY.
OUCH! I'm on 163 right now, and all the vestibules have a mix of snow and ice-melting salt in them. In one of the vestibules, the doors still aren't closing all the way: there is a gap of a couple of inches. Thankfully it isn't snowing now, but it still blows into them when we get up to speed. I feel for those people who used any of the Amfleets during the actual storm.

This weather is crazy!

So I may be put in coach, despite having paid a premium for a sleeper accommodation?
If you have to layover in CHI on Amtraks dime, you could also be rebooked onto #421 the next day if theres no Room available on #3, IF it's one of the 3 days a week it runs CHI-LAX.
You could also be placed in the Transdorm if a Roomette is available, I've even been placed in a Non-Revenue Crew Room in a situation like this. YMMV.

Dont wait until you reach Chicago if you're gonna miss you're connection.Call AGR off you're a Member, or Amtrak if not, and see what's available since you'll be competing with others for limited spots on the next days trains!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having experienced a situation last March where the LSL from CHI to NYP was completely cancelled, my advice is as follows:

DON'T WAIT FOR AMTRAK TO TELL YOU THE CONNECTION WILL BE MISSED!!

If you do, your options will have vanished and you'll be at the whims of the company and blind fate. Meaning, you'll 99.99999% be loaded into a Coach seat for your trek to LAX and only given the accommodation charge returned (offered to you in eVoucher form, unless you fight for the funds back on what ever method of payment you used.) Amtrak will put you up in a hotel (their choice of property, which could be a budget location many miles away) for the one night, and give you some fast food "meal" vouchers. You may or may not still receive meals in the Diner; employees can and do make up their own rules here, even though I recall displaced Sleeper passengers are supposed to still receive meals.

Instead of that type of fate, get on the phone with Amtrak ASAP the second it becomes clear you're gonna missconnect (if you have AGR, I'd call them first since they tend to be better at taking care of people.) Work out your options, and write down as much of the info as you can, and get ahead of the crazy rush. If you get a leg-up, you may still get a roomette on a sold-out train the next day with an agent seeing an open space in the TransDorm.

In my March case, had I waited for fate to decide, I would have been loaded into Coach on the Capital Limited, then shunted middle-of-the-night to Business Class on the Pennsylvanian. With three large bags. Instead, I got ahead of the game and nabbed the very last room (a bedroom; upgrade since I was originally booked in a roomette on the LSL) on the Cardinal before it sold out. And I didn't pay any difference in price, either.

YMMV.

Things aren't looking good. No updates. Still waiting, as are passengers for the 91, 97, and 49. So, I presume the priority is getting the Silver Starvation ready.

And given that the 91 is already 5 hrs late, I presume we'll be waiting for a long long time.

I was supposed to be in Buffalo yesterday for the medal games of the WJC and a meeting today. The -30 wind chill forecast up there, and the fine weather here in NYC convinced me otherwise. Hopefully once you get going it will not be too bad. This time of year I favor the NER-CL combo to connect in Chicago.

Things aren't looking good. No updates. Still waiting, as are passengers for the 91, 97, and 49. So, I presume the priority is getting the Silver Starvation ready.

And given that the 91 is already 5 hrs late, I presume we'll be waiting for a long long time.
I'm waiting for 91 in Washington and the employees here have no idea what is going on. If there is any update on the train please let me know.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I see 49 departed NYP at 5:24 pm. Not too bad. Hope you don’t lose much more time. Happy travels. Wave as you pass Flagstaff!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I would assume it is fairly likely you are going to misconnect at this point. With the equipment frozen to begin with, and the frigid temperatures along the Water Level Route at this point, I doubt you are going to make up any lateness, and will probably lose time along the route. Tomorrow, keep checking on the DEPARTURE STATUS of the SWC. As soon as you are aware it has left Chicago, or you are more than a few hours out and its departure is imminent, you call Amtrak and fight your way onto either the next days Roomette or onto a roomette on the TE/SL. It takes longer, but a burrito from Juanita in El Paso will make up for it, believe me.

I would assume it is fairly likely you are going to misconnect at this point. With the equipment frozen to begin with, and the frigid temperatures along the Water Level Route at this point, I doubt you are going to make up any lateness, and will probably lose time along the route. Tomorrow, keep checking on the DEPARTURE STATUS of the SWC. As soon as you are aware it has left Chicago, or you are more than a few hours out and its departure is imminent, you call Amtrak and fight your way onto either the next days Roomette or onto a roomette on the TE/SL. It takes longer, but a burrito from Juanita in El Paso will make up for it, believe me.
Haha this post is great!

I agree with your strategic planning, but since SWC doesn't leave that early, (I think 3PM) I really think he has a decent shot at the connection. Western NY has been in brutal weather, so we shall see what late night has in store....

I will be watching your progress ( or hopefully not lack therof) all night. Hope the accommodations are cozy! It is rather balmy here in Flagstaff!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back