Ocean: Large cabin for 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveKCMO

Service Attendant
We booked a "large cabin for 2" on the eastbound Ocean this September. It's difficult to find a layout for this exact Unit "A" (versus the regular cabin for 2). I assume it's larger than the regular cabin given the title, but what is the bed arrangement?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I traveled on the Ocean in June 2016, I don't remember a "large cabin for 2". If you are on Renaissance equipment there are two classes of cabin for 2 but all are numbered 1 - 10 and are the same size. If you are in cabin A, you are apparently in a room in the Park dome car at the end of the train or possibly a stainless still Chateau or Manor sleeper car as the ones on THE CANADIAN.

The large cabin for two is room A in the Park car and formerly the drawing room. I just had his room. If you would like photos I can post them.

It has two beds that are not bunked arranged in an L shape.

attachicon.gif
Sleeping cars - Renaissance sleeping car _ VIA Rail.html

I don't see an "A" cabin in the diagram.
Palmetto, I think the above postings point out that Bedroom A is not on the Renaissance equipment but instead is in the domed Park car at the end of the train. Each Ocean has one NON-Renassaince domed Park Car at the end of the train. This is the same as the domed Park car on THE CANADIAN.

Select oceans run either as All Budd such as three trains during the Christmas season or when a ren train is down for maintenance as happened spring of 2017. Other oceans in 2017 ran with a single chateau sleeper (I believe as a crew dorm), and sometimes with skyline.

Heres a Park Car diagram.

Also.....the westbound Ocean at Truro, NS last Friday, Dec 29/17 with a Park Car and Chateau Sleeper (in crew service) on the end of a Renaissance consist.

20180103035918646_0001.jpg

20171229_142541.jpg

20171229_142710.jpg

20171229_143448.jpg

Great shots, thanks!

I noticed in the diagram, they didn't include the writing desk in the obs lounge (next to the steps to the dome), in the room capacity....

I miss all the variations in the old heritage sleepers. In that car, you could also have Bedroom's C and D combined into a Bedroom Suite for four, by opening the folding partition between them.

There were some other heritage sleepers where your could have a bedroom or compartment and drawing room suite, that could sleep up to five adults....
default_smile.png

Which Park car was bringing up the markers. I'm pretty sure that's the car we passed in Moncton.
It's 'Tramblant Park'.....and along with the Chateau Sleeper.....this Renaissance consist also included 5 coaches, 8 sleepers and 2 lounge-service cars bracketing a full diner.

Today's westbound departure from Halifax is the last of the extra Budd Oceans.....and Oh to be in the Dome on that warm and cozy train today! The weather bomb moving up the US east coast will change over to rain when it reaches Nova Scotia but the Ocean will still encounter blizzard conditions as it makes its way through New Brunswick and Quebec's Matapedia Valley tonight!

That reminds me I need to type up my trip report from the all Budd Ocean.
Looking forward to your report!

I had tried to get over to Truro when you would have been passing through but I was working. Didn't even get to see one of the extra Budd Oceans this year....just last Friday's Renn and only because I was in the area.

And Richard Pryor. And Jill Clayburgh.

In fact, most of the cast of that great picture are now sadly gone.....
default_mellow.png

The entire movie was filmed on Canadian Pacific equipment built for the Canadian. Most of the lines in the prairies it was filmed on have been abandoned.

But here is the roster for which cars were in the movie.

CP 4070-FP7A scrapped

CP 4067-FP7A still around in bad shape

CP 613-Now VIA baggage/dorm. Now VIA 8613

CP 14311 Burton Manor. Now VIA 8311

CP 14325 Elgin Manor. Now VIA 8325. Gene Wilder was in room C. Jill Clayburgh was in room D.

CP 118 coach. Now VIA 8118

CP 16517 Wascanna Dining Car. To VIA 8417 wrecked at Stewiacke, NS and scrapped

CP 14322 Drummond Manor. Now VIA 8312

CP 108 coach. Now VIA 8108

CP 15407 Kokanee Park. Now VIA 8707. It's not a prestige car so it'll either show up on the Skeena or the Ocean.

The entire movie was filmed on Canadian Pacific equipment built for the Canadian. Most of the lines in the prairies it was filmed on have been abandoned.

But here is the roster for which cars were in the movie.

CP 4070-FP7A scrapped

CP 4067-FP7A still around in bad shape

CP 613-Now VIA baggage/dorm. Now VIA 8613

CP 14311 Burton Manor. Now VIA 8311

CP 14325 Elgin Manor. Now VIA 8325. Gene Wilder was in room C. Jill Clayburgh was in room D.

CP 118 coach. Now VIA 8118

CP 16517 Wascanna Dining Car. To VIA 8417 wrecked at Stewiacke, NS and scrapped

CP 14322 Drummond Manor. Now VIA 8312

CP 108 coach. Now VIA 8108

CP 15407 Kokanee Park. Now VIA 8707. It's not a prestige car so it'll either show up on the Skeena or the Ocean.
I've actually been in Elgin Manor (on one of my Canadian trips, obviously). Boy, it'd be fun to call someone and say "Hey, I'm in Gene Wilder's room from Silver Streak!"

Back