Amtrak Sleepers: 101 uses of Gaffers/Paint Tape

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C&O RR

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Moderator's note: This topic was originally about the uses of duct tape. Due to the maintenance issues resulting from the use of duct tape, we have changed the title to identify the use of other tape types that will not leave behind adhesive residue.

1: Taping your electrical cord from the room's plug to where you want power so that you are not tripping over it.

2: Sealing the air conditioner vents when you are freezing from the AC running at full throttle.

3: Sealing the air conditioner vent in your neighbor's room when they are freezing and you are not. (This will allow the car attendant to leave the AC on.)

4: Taping the door curtains closed since most of the Velcro fasteners are no longer there. (Unless you like putting on a show.)

5: Taping the window curtains closed when you want to get some sleep or don't want to put on a show at the next stop.

6: Taping the toilet seat to the wall so that it will stay up. Guys, the seat seldom stays up when traveling at 50+ mph and you need to go. Your traveling companion will appreciate this little trick since it gives them a dry place to sit. (Cut a longer piece of tape that you think you need, place one end on the wall, fold the other end over a couple of times, like you do when you want to make double-sided tape, this will give you a handle to pull that end off the seat when you need to lower it.

7: Taping the dividing door between two-deluxe bedrooms so that they will not rattle all night.

8: Taping anything that likes to rattle so you can get to sleep.

9: For those of you who toss and turn in your sleep, taping the sheets on bottom bed to the mattress so they will stay tucked in.

10: When you leave your room and you want to keep your door close, put some duct tape on it.

11. When a sleeper car starts your trip frozen with snow on the roof you might find water coming in through the vents. I have used duct tape to tape a towel over the vents to catch the water.

Ok, I am only up to 11
default_tongue.png
, but I sure that there are many more reasons. Please add your suggestions to this list.

Last edited by a moderator:
None.

Seriously really please don't use duct tape. I've come across rooms where folks have taken upon themselves to use duct tape... and had sticky spots all over the place.

None.

Seriously really please don't use duct tape. I've come across rooms where folks have taken upon themselves to use duct tape... and had sticky spots all over the place.
Gaffer tape or painters' tape is best. The sticky spots attract dirt and make the room look grimy (on top of being sticky).

Duck tape does leave a sticky mess, which we have cleaned off with the diabetic alcohol swabs we carry. Changed over to painter's tape, but do carry a small amount of duck tape for special situations, which so far have not occurred.

None.

^^This^^
Mods, could you change duct tape to gaffers/paint tape so not to continue promoting using duct tape on the trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Gaffers tape is literally one of my favorite tools. Can also be used in conjunction with paper towels to stop window seals from leaking temporarily.

Having worked backstage in a theater, gaff tape was definitely a staple. If you're in a bedroom with a travel companion who has a tendency to block the bathroom door with luggage, swing the door open and tape a line of gaff on the floor to indicate how far the door comes out, so your companion knows not to block you in or make it a struggle to get out of the bathroom through a crack in the door.

Back