Website Issue?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoSierra

Train Attendant
Who do I contact for help regarding this?

When searching for a train, this is what I see. All Acela Express trains, on or beyond the date of Jan 14 shows this price. I've looked before, and have been saving up points for this ride, and the price has been 10,998 for a while.

b7ab765128cbb653d54fb6c349cf50d8.png

After adding that selection to the cart, it still shows the same points cost.

45710ee547a157bf6219ecf1b4c79c2d.png

As I attempt to check out, this is the review screen, still showing 10,998.

1b28d0858e420f26879b8f2ac2aee637.png

And clicking the Redeem Points button brings up yet another screen for confirmation, still showing 10,998.

21ad83d2667ce81c3fdde9958eda55af.png

And then it errors out.

d61129016ce8ec1622cd983b542569c7.png

I've tried calling in to make this booking, only to be told that I don't have enough points (I have over 11,000 points) because the price is over 12,000 points. No one at AGR seems to be interested in trying to get the price quoted on the website honored. Is there any sort of regulatory body or some higher-up at Amtrak that I can complain to?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had something like that happen to me 6-8 months ago. I had tried various travel scenarios without booking anything and when I decided on what and when to book, it failed at the same place. I figured it was something screwy with the Amtrak booking site so I went to another non-Amtrak site and then came back and still got the problem. I decided it had to be a 'cookies' issue, so I rebooted my computer and the reservation went through without a hitch!

Just to remind you that we have nothing to do with Amtrak.

My suggestion is if you are having trouble with the website, call and speak with an agent. While on that call, inform the agent of the problem with the website.

I know this forum isn't operated by Amtrak. I figured that someone here might know of who/where I can escalate this to, because calling has done no good so far, as no one over the phone has been able to help. I've called AGR, and their agents are apathetic, and they tell me that if it's a website issue, that I should call Amtrak, not AGR. When I speak to someone at Amtrak, they are adamant that if it's a points issue that I should speak to AGR, and they won't address the issue.

With the airlines, I can file a complaint with the DOT if they're not honoring a published rate, but with Amtrak, who do I complain to? I understand that Amtrak is a quasi-government entity, so should I be trying to find the email for Richard Anderson instead?

After further nagging on social media, Amtrak told me to call Reservations and ask to be transferred to the Internet Support Desk. The reservations agent was adamant on that department not existing until I asked to be transferred to Customer Relations. I guess the department suddenly sprang into existence
default_biggrin.png
Finally, I found someone willing to work on it! The agent is running into similar issues trying to book it manually (the agent sees the points price on both the website and in the reservation system, but ARROW is refusing to ticket it despite multiple override attempts), and is now consulting the rate desk for assistance. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: No dice. Internet Support gave up and transferred me to AGR who told me the same thing, that the website is incorrect. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back