Derailment of Cascades #501, DuPont WA, 2017-12-18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think this train was supposed to be where it was. I think it was to go around a sweeping right hand curve just north of there, but someone left a switch open. Train was on correct alignment, using Google Earth I found a different bridge with similar topography and graffiti, but it was the wrong location.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they ever test talgo equipment on this line?

The Talgo cars are built quite different and wondering if that could have caused this.

Either way, this looks like a seriously tragic accident, and I just hope that somehow the cars that fell were not full of passengers.

default_sad.png
KIRO now reporting fatalities...

And the local Fox affiliate has some video of passenger cars on top of each other...

http://q13fox.com/2017/12/18/train-derails-above-i-5-sb-lanes-shut-down-near-dupont/

Rail cars on the ground on both side of the track. The forces involved to make the train split and then have the lead cars land on the inside of the curve and the rest of the train side (fly) to the outside of the curve.

Would think the locomore picture is lead.

Report multiple rail authority types on board. Hopefully no riders in the cab.

Rail cars on the ground on both side of the track. The forces involved to make the train split and then have the lead cars land on the inside of the curve and the rest of the train side (fly) to the outside of the curve.

Would think the locomore picture is lead, otherwise the laws of physics do not apply.
I think it is trailing. Based on new pics of one car upside down on freeway and angled car on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Would think the locomore picture is lead.
One picture I see has at least one of those cars landing upside-down. That doesn't look very survivable.
default_sad.png

With this being the inaugural run on the new route, I'm reading reports that there were a lot of elected officials and transit managers who were on board.

Some injuries but no fatalities among Interstate vehicles being reported now too.

There are now fatalities being reported on the train.

There were 83 people on board (78 passengers 5 crew). Full capacity is 250 or so.

I have heard people say there was a charger leading, and that its somewhere on the other side of the bridge.

Nick

Based on the road closures and satellite views of the route, it appears the incident occurred at the southern end of the new routing just before it merges in with the old route (which likely will be the active route again until the wreck area is cleaned up and repaired).

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Can someone post a google map of the location? Someone stated the train was doing 81mph but the trestle is in a sharp S curve.

As near as I can tell, this is the scene of the accident:

Scene.jpg

Back