Sightseer lounge on some Auto trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MDRailfan

I noticed that there are some sightseer lounge cars on the AT but not always. Anyone know why?

I thought one sightseer was always in the pool after the derailment of 2002, which damaged two of the AT captive lounges.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

When the sightseer is running it looks like the sleeper's get it. With all the perks gone from the auto train, I guess that might be considered a perk at least for sleeping car passengers. I wonder what determines when it will run?

When the sightseer is running it looks like the sleeper's get it. With all the perks gone from the auto train, I guess that might be considered a perk at least for sleeping car passengers. I wonder what determines when it will run?
Mainly the non-availability of the standard Auto Train Lounge cars, which are rebuilt from Superliner I Diners.

BTW, all five Auto Train Lounges have been back in service for a long long time. The last of the two damaged Lounges (33100 and 33101) from the Crescent City derailment in 2002, was returned to service in 2004. Almost everything involved in the derailment (including Deluxe Sleepers W. Graham Claytor Jr., A. Philip Randolph and Palm Beach) have been back in service for quite a while now. Palm Beach came back last in 2011. AFAICT two Coaches (34125, 34126) , one Sleeper (New York 32100) and possibly a Diner(38052) are yet to return from the Crescent City derailment, though I do need to check on the Diner's disposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great car. Yes...I've seen it maybe one time a year at best. I remember many years ago it had swivel seats that looked out sideways. They were changed out to add more seating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back