Guest MDRailfan

Sightseer lounge on some Auto trains

Guest MDRailfan

I noticed that there are some sightseer lounge cars on the AT but not always. Anyone know why?

The AT has a captive equipment pool that includes non-sightseer lounge cars. When they can't run, sometimes a sightseer will swap in.

I thought one sightseer was always in the pool after the derailment of 2002, which damaged two of the AT captive lounges.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I thought one sightseer was always in the pool after the derailment of 2002, which damaged two of the AT captive lounges.

I thought only one of the lounges was damaged back in 2002

Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I thought only one of the lounges was damaged back in 2002

Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

14 super liners were damaged, only a sleeper and the dorm made it over without derailing.

Guest MDRailfan

When the sightseer is running it looks like the sleeper's get it. With all the perks gone from the auto train, I guess that might be considered a perk at least for sleeping car passengers. I wonder what determines when it will run?

When the sightseer is running it looks like the sleeper's get it. With all the perks gone from the auto train, I guess that might be considered a perk at least for sleeping car passengers. I wonder what determines when it will run?

Mainly the non-availability of the standard Auto Train Lounge cars, which are rebuilt from Superliner I Diners.

BTW, all five Auto Train Lounges have been back in service for a long long time. The last of the two damaged Lounges (33100 and 33101) from the Crescent City derailment in 2002, was returned to service in 2004. Almost everything involved in the derailment (including Deluxe Sleepers W. Graham Claytor Jr., A. Philip Randolph and Palm Beach) have been back in service for quite a while now. Palm Beach came back last in 2011. AFAICT two Coaches (34125, 34126) , one Sleeper (New York 32100) and possibly a Diner(38052) are yet to return from the Crescent City derailment, though I do need to check on the Diner's disposition.

Edited by jis

Guest RichieRich

That's a great car. Yes...I've seen it maybe one time a year at best. I remember many years ago it had swivel seats that looked out sideways. They were changed out to add more seating.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.