A Train (of thought) Across the USA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting train of thoughts. I find facebook to be an echo chamber for me... rather than arguments, I seem to get similar cosy viewpoints to my own. I am often surprised, shocked, by how many folk have opposite views to my own, in the real world. Riding in coach on my last visit across America, I found it interesting to "play dumb", and ask apparently naive questions of my fellow passengers to stimulate debates on politics, building walls, guns, trumpery, etc. I confess to having to request one woman to stop yelling at me, and return to her seat!
default_biggrin.png

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting train of thoughts. I find facebook to be an echo chamber for me... rather than arguments, I seem to get similar cosy viewpoints to my own. I am often surprised, shocked, by how many folk have opposite views to my own, in the real world. Riding in coach on my last visit across America, I found it interesting to "play dumb", and ask apparently naive questions of my fellow passengers to stimulate debates on politics, building walls, guns, trumpery, etc. I confess to having to request one woman to stop yelling at me, and return to her seat!
default_biggrin.png

Ed.
Haha, Ed, I've done that as well a few times in Election year, "playing dumb" and asking questions on American politics, etc. A nice conversation opener in the Dining Car. Love your story about the screaming lady.

Enjoyed your trip report. We completed a trip on the SWC from Albuquerque last fall and always have enjoyed our many trips on that train. We try to avoid discussions of politics and religion at the dinner table since our views (somewhat left of center) conflict with some on the far right. Indigestion is usually forthcoming in those circumstances...
default_tongue.png

Glad you had a nice trip across the USA and hope you will try some of the other Amtrak trains (California Zephyr--Coast Starlight-Empire Builder) on another visit.

Back