I may well be crazy... (9287 miles planned in 4 weeks)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=11pt]Amtrak Travel planned. 9287 Miles in a 4 week period.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Silver Meteor NYP-MIA-NYP 12/25 and 01/3. Back in NY on 1 / 4. Then get on the train to LA on 1 / 6. Lake Shore to SWC. Get to LA 1/9, and return east on 1/14 on the 422 TE via San Antonio, and then the 48 LSL to ROC.It’s going to be an epic voyage..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Assuming on time performance is good.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]27h24m going to Miami [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]26:50 going back to New York[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]18h 19 minutes from CRT to CHI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]5 H 15 layover[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]43 hour 15 minute on the SWC to LAX[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]61h 52m from LAX to CHI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]7h38 layover[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]11 hour 20 minutes CHI to ROC.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]7 days and 21 hours on the rails.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]189 hours.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]13 hours layover in Chicago round trip.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]9 nights.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]9 Breakfasts[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]5 Lunches[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]7 Diners[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]21 meals on amtrak[/SIZE]

I did the SWC one way to CHI before, and then the LSL to ROC, so I've done some train travel. Just not this much at once.

I'm traveling solo this time, in a roomette the whole way.

So I'm either going to love it, which I think I will, or end up hating the train and never wanting to take it again. lol

I think your plan is fine, if that’s what you want to do. What I like is that you have arranged stays in each city of more than one night, which makes this sane. I have done extensive solo driving trips around this country and Canada, and while it can be tiring, end up marveling at everything I saw and places visited. Enjoy your trip. ( The menus have become somewhat better. )

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
After recuperating from this trip why not try the one shown below? It's 4,000 miles longer yet each piece of track is different:

MarathonTripe.jpg

The 19 days shown is the minimum. If VIA Rail in Canada is included, there may be an even lengthier trip.

Back in my younger and dumber days, I used a 45 Day Unlimited North American Rail Pass to ride Amtrak and VIA Trains all over North America.

I had overnights in Chicago(2), New York City(3),Washington DC(2),Montreal,Ottawa(3),Toronto(3),Vancouver(2),Sonoma (3)and LA. ( stayed with friends,relatives and in hostels).

So I had 25 nights on LD Trains including a few upgrades to Roomettes, and a Section on the Canadian.

I'd do it again in a New,York Minute if my Finances allowed it!

I used the old style Amtrak 15 day unlimited segments railpass to cover around 12,500 miles. About 10 years or so ago, you were almost certain to have a double seat to yourself in coach to sleep overnight.

Ed.

Wow. I thought I was nuts for doing 4 consecutive nights! At the very least, I couldn't do that many amtrak meals.....I'd have to plan layover meals, and skip some on board.
Yeah I can only take so many Amtrak meals.

Back in my younger and dumber days, I used a 45 Day Unlimited North American Rail Pass to ride Amtrak and VIA Trains all over North America.

I had overnights in Chicago(2), New York City(3),Washington DC(2),Montreal,Ottawa(3),Toronto(3),Vancouver(2),Sonoma (3)and LA. ( stayed with friends,relatives and in hostels).

So I had 25 nights on LD Trains including a few upgrades to Roomettes, and a Section on the Canadian.

I'd do it again in a New,York Minute if my Finances allowed it!
True that.

No, do not assume that. It will be pretty much the same, except for the LSL with its diner lite. There may be a few variations, and some new menu items have appeared in recent months.

Well, in Jan, my wife and I are take the Meteor from WPB to Was, and then the Cardinal to Chicago and finally the SWC to Los Angeles. I guess that's 4 straight nights on AMTRAK but after one night in LA we board the Island Princess for a 15 day cruise through the Panama Canal and back to Ft. Lauderdale. The cruise should make up for the AMTRAK food!

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

No, I don’t think so. We are on the Meteor on Jan 4 & 5. The Cardinal on Jan 5 &6, and on the SWC Jan 6 - 8.

I think we just miss.

Traveling via Amtrak can be a very special experience and when we are off the rails we miss it. We never do more than three overnights on a trip but if it makes you happy why not? if you can afford to add a sleeper on some legs of your trip, we highly recommend it. Rail passengers are the only travelers that are offered an affordable rest in a bed overnight while traveling long distance. By rail you will see parts of the USA that most people will never see in their lifetime. We never fly and it is the only way that we travel LD. This trip should prove to be a great experience for you.

I've specifically been known to get on a train and go around in a circle when I really need a break. If you're like that, you'll probably have fun.

My longest trip, with my oldest granddaughter was AUS-SEA via LAX, two night layover, then SEA-BWI via CHI & WAS, three night layover, then WAS-SAS via NYC on Acela, and CHI. Two weeks, 8 nights on the train. Sightseeing in Seattle and visiting friends outside DC. Approximately 8K miles. We did get tired of the same menu for over 20 meals in the DC. We rode the SL, CS, EB, CL, NER, Acela, LSL, TE.

Excited for you. Gotta love those long distance trips! I'll probably be on a short little "hop" from the Detroit suburbs to Chicago in a few days.

And my 9357 journey just got even longer.

I got a call this AM that the TE is cancelled on the day I'm travelling.

I was able to rebook on the CS/CZ combo, with a one night layover in EMY.

This will add to the mileage of this trip.

2438 on the CZ, 469 on the CS

2907 miles, 179 miles more than planned before.

New total mileage is 9536.

Back