How do I get the difference refunded and keep reservation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic981

Train Attendant
I have a trip from CHI to LAX via TE booked for March 2018. CHI to STL in coach and STL to LAX in a roomette. When I booked this the fare was $509. Today the fare is $451 and straight through in a roomette is $538. I called to modify my reservation and the agent stated that my original reservation would have to be canceled and I would have to rebook in a roomette on the lower level to get the new fare. What the heck!?! Any suggestions???

Sounds just about right. You would need to cancel and rebook. Everything would essentially be moved to an eVoucher and then applied to the new fare. Then anything left in the eVoucher can be applied to another fare or you could request a refund (and there are penalties). The only exception would be on a flexible fare.

https://www.amtrak.com/evouchers-your-travel-credits-stored-electronically

There are risks, such as the last fare in a bucket being taken while you do this.

I've rebooked travel before, which is essentially what you're asking for. It had to be processed as a cancellation to eVoucher, then a purchase of a new ticket with that eVoucher. I had something left over that I used to buy a ticket for my commute.

Actually, you do not have to cancel and rebook. You only have to modify your reservation. I have done it many times.

Some agents may not know how to do it, or for some reason do not want to. If they will not or can not just modify your reservation,ask for a Supervisor.

I have called to take advantage of a reduced fare on one leg of a multi-leg journey where the fare had gone up on a different leg. If cancel and rebook was the only option, then I would not have gotten the full benefit of the reduced fare. I conclude that the agent did not cancel and rebook my reservation. Also, the reservation number stayed the same, which is even better evidence that the agent did not cancel and rebook.

As the_traveler said, ask for a supervisor if the agent will not or cannot help you. Or hang up and call again.

I have called to take advantage of a reduced fare on one leg of a multi-leg journey where the fare had gone up on a different leg. If cancel and rebook was the only option, then I would not have gotten the full benefit of the reduced fare. I conclude that the agent did not cancel and rebook my reservation. Also, the reservation number stayed the same, which is even better evidence that the agent did not cancel and rebook.

As the_traveler said, ask for a supervisor if the agent will not or cannot help you. Or hang up and call again.
I've had a cancellation where the new reservation number was the same as the old one. I thought it was because of the way eVouchers are applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up going to Amtrak.com and modifying my reservation. Instead of trying for a refund, I paid $29 to change my CHI to STL coach portion to CHI to LAX in a roomette. This did change my room assignment from roomette 2 to roomette 8, not to the lower lever roomette I was previously quoted. I called reservations and was able to get my assignment changed back to roomette 2. My reservation number didn't change.

I'm glad it worked out to your satisfaction. In your place, I would be glad to avoid moving from coach to the sleeper in Saint Louis.

I'd also have gladly paid the $29 difference to have the roommette out of CHI. That's easily the price of the now-included dinner!

Yes, it would be worth it for the meal (at least almost), but the OP had a roomette departing Saint Louis already and so already had the meal. In this case, the $29 was an insurance policy against the train being so late that it would depart Saint Louis after last call.

I would take the Roomette for the comfort, and knowing you can select when you want dinner. Trains get delayed, plus Dinner is the most expensive meals if you have to purchase it from Coach.

Back