Shot in the dark-Any Birmingham/Central AL photographers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortline

Conductor
Just taking a shot in the dark here. I'm by no means, a traditional "railfan". In a manner, I work with railroads. I like trains. I take passenger trains when it makes sense. But when off the clock, and not traveling, I rarely step within a mile of a train track. However, I AM getting an interest in photography. I've taken a few classes, and will continue to, but would like more "field" assistance. Mostly on the artistic side of things. Lighting. Composition. "feel". "look". etc. I am finally starting to get my ISO figured out from my F-Stop, and my shutter speed a bit, but I'm more of a technical person, and do better hands on with someone to demonstrate, than taking a class, and shooting away in between, then getting critiqued later.

That said, I'm new to the Birmingham AL area (actually live about 50 Miles NE, in Blount County). And it occurred to me, there quite possibly could be some avid and capable photographers in the area. Anyone interested in helping a new photographer out? My real photo interest lies in motorcycle rallies/rides, horse activities the wife and son do, and aviation, especially glider flying. But as the principles are the same, I'm more than willing to go shoot a few trains to gain some experience. Anyone interested in giving it a try, I'm good for lunch, and possibly some other RR experience type activities I don't want to get into on here, but you might find it interesting. Hit me up in a message.

I shoot with a Nikon D-7000, with the standard kit lens, though I also have a Nikon 50MM lens to play with too. In addition, I have a Yuneek Q-500 drone I haven't even flown yet....I tend to get excited about a hobby, buy stuff, then forget to actually learn to use them....Time to change that. Thanks!

Edit to add-Doesn't have to be Birmingham area actually, I travel for work extensively, and often spend time all over Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio, SE Kansas, Kansas City area, Wisconsin, Michigan, all over Texas, Idaho, North Carolina, West Virginia, Mississippi, Louisiana, N Florida, New York, Philadelphia,. Pittsburgh, Nebraska, North Dakota, and a few other places. Anyone really, almost anywhere, that would like to help out, hit me up, might be able to learn a lot all over, throughout the year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Ryan, I do get up there a few times a year. Will be passing through next week, changing trains from the Crescent to the Capitol. Not much time there, but am speaking at a conference later in the spring, will be up there for a few days, will let you know!

You might want to consider posting this on some photography focused forums as well. Trainspotting forums, aircraft photographers , urban decay videographers, etc. Those groups tend to focus on the details of finding, composing and (digitally) developing a good shot whereas AU members are mainly taking casual photos as a way to remember their trip.

Thanks, I have certainly done that also, and have a few contacts already. Just thought I'd see what I could come up with here as well, some railfans are quite good at photography. I'm on a few Nikon forums also, and am joining a local photography club. Have to take Jan off, but am also taking classes through Birmingham School of Photography. Probably won't go all the way through to their credential level, I have no desire to be a professional, but the classes aren't that expensive, and I enjoy them when I can get my work schedule to line up with the class schedule.

Back