UP Union Pacific Generic Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Conductor
I know about Amtrak's #5 & #6's daily usage of the UP line at Truckee, California.

What I was curious about, is a guesstimate of how many other trains, on average go across the Truckee section each 24 hour period.

I think it's in the neighborhood of 100 trains every 24 hours, and about the same for the Feather River route.

IIRC there is a web cam near the Truckee station.

That part of UP that goes through Truckee is known as the Roseville subdivision which starts/ends back in Sparks, NV.

The Canyon subdivision goes along the Feather River.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's in the neighborhood of 100 trains every 24 hours, and about the same for the Feather River route.

IIRC there is a web cam near the Truckee station.

That part of UP that goes through Truckee is known as the Roseville subdivision which starts/ends back in Sparks, NV.

The Canyon subdivision goes along the Feather River.
Okay, thanks. So, the line is averaging about 2 trains per hour, each way.

I do watch the Truckee cam. I wish we could take up an offering to get them to upgrade to full HD for that cam.

When I tune in to see the Amtrak, I sometimes see a freight going before it by 5 or 10 minutes.

I believe 100 trains per day per route is a very high estimate. I'd be inclined to say 20-25 per day per route,

I believe 100 trains per day per route is a very high estimate. I'd be inclined to say 20-25 per day per route,
20-25 seems low. That would be one train every two hours in each direction. 100 trains is roughly two trains per hour in each direction. A net of four trains per hour. This may be bit on the high side but probably closer to what it is in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back