Amtrak.com & Firefox 57.0 (Quantum)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Firefox has upgraded itself and now I can't get to Amtrak.com. All it says is that the site is currently conducting maintenance.

I've cleared cache, history and have uninstalled and reinstalled. No change. Chrome works okay.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

jb

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using the same browser without issues, the problem isn’t with Amtrak’s website being updated.

Sounds like something in DNS is pointing at an old server, what OS are you running, John?

I've not had any problems with Quantum 57.0 since it installed on either of my Windows 7 64-bit machines. Maybe it's a 32-bit version glitch?

Standard techie response: delete it and reinstall. First, though, download a 'fresh' version from the Mozilla web site. Note: either create a shortcut to C:\users\<your ID>\downloads or change the download destination to a simple folder created on your C: drive root...I use c:\temp. Then delete Firefox using normal control panel/programs & features, then re-install from where ever you saved the fresh download. Alternatively, delete it, and use Chrome or IE to download a fresh version and reinstall.

I just checked and got the following:

We are currently conducting site maintenance.Sorry, our site is temporarily unavailable. We are working to address this issue.

Please try again shortly. Or, for immediate assistance, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Thank you for your patience.

Reference #

Been like this for me since the redesign. I'm on MacOS 10.13.2 (Public Beta) and Safari returns the exact same msg as above. I have Chrome on the same machine and Amtrak loads just fine fine. I have tried playing w/ the User Agent settings in Safari to spoof the browser but nothing. I'm believing there must be some server side issue that's hanging things up. I've seen reports over in FB saying the same thing. Problem is there is no consistency to the browser/OS combination.

If you are using a bookmark to pull up Amtrak, try to access by entering "www.amtrak.com" manually. Amtrak slightly changed its default home page address a few weeks ago. Bookmarks that point to that prior address with all the details will not work.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage <== old

https://www.amtrak.com/home.html <== new

I have tried the link above, eliminating Amtrak from my favorites, manually typing the address, no change. I am on Windows 10 using Goggle Chrome. This problem just started over the holiday.

I found that I needed to go back to an older version of Firefox (for a reason unrelated to this one). So I uninstalled Quantum (57) and installed 47.0.1. Same problem - couldn't get to Amtrak.com. So I cleared out all history/cookies, etc, uninstalled 47.0.1 and then reinstalled 47.0.1. Now I have Amtrak.

I would suggest that if you are on Quantum and can't get to Amtrak, AND you decide that in order to solve the problem you want to revert to an older version of Firefox, STOP. Instead, clear out the browsing history/cache/cookies/everything first. It might save you the trouble of doing the uninstallation/reinstallation. By the way, using an older version of a browser is a security risk because it's not getting the latest security enhancements.

jb

Back