Photos needed for new RPA (NARP) website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit confused. Ok maybe more than a bit. But, that isn't about trains!

Are photo submissions to be offered on one's own facebook/twitter, etc feeds or the pages for NARP?

Does the "window" need to be added as a frame for photo submissions?

Yes, it absolutely is. I wasn't involved in developing the logo, but it's my understanding that it's about the passengers, and what they experience from the train. I know it's heretical to say this in some quarters, but most passengers could care less about what the equipment looks like from the outside--for them, it's about the scenery and the experience.

Are photo submissions to be offered on one's own facebook/twitter, etc feeds or the pages for NARP?
On one's own Facebook or Twitter feeds. Winners will be asked to provide a full-resolution image.

Does the "window" need to be added as a frame for photo submissions?
No. In fact, the website will not use images in the window. Images will be used as backgrounds instead. The window concept will be used for other materials such as print brochures.

The genesis of this logo is a prime example of echo chamber idiocy. The 1990 logo makes it eminently clear the nature of your business with no extra text. The 2011 logo gives a vague idea. The new one does nothing of the sort.

I thought somewhere on NARP there might be someone with a vague marketing background. I was apparently mistaken.

Post modern logos seem to either approximate an oblong or a spheroid and their projections. That seems to be the in thing with logos. So GML it is time for you to get with the program ROTFL! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The in thing and a logo that actually does its job are not always the same thing. One shouldnt do in when in doesnt work.

Yes, it absolutely is. I wasn't involved in developing the logo, but it's my understanding that it's about the passengers, and what they experience from the train. I know it's heretical to say this in some quarters, but most passengers could care less about what the equipment looks like from the outside--for them, it's about the scenery and the experience!
Oh, the contest is certainly about trains. But, my heavy confusion isn't. Do you have the name of a good psychiatrist, per chance? (That might make a mighty good prize, actually!)

For most passenger associations just a stylized initials seems to serve fine as a logo. The window theme is a bit off the beaten path admittedly. But IMHO it is neither horribly better or worse than a stylized artwork of the nose of a train or some such.

For most passenger associations just a stylized initials seems to serve fine as a logo. The window theme is a bit off the beaten path admittedly. But IMHO it is neither horribly better or worse than a stylized artwork of the nose of a train or some such.

Not an expert (by a long shot), but the "window" theme does not say "train" to me. It could be a bus. It could be an RV. It could be anything rectangular. The old logo said train, and it's futuristic design implied modern relevance.

NARP has put forth a lot of effort to have passenger rail looked at as a mainstream transportation asset, not just a land cruise for vacationers. It seems to me that a logo that seems to imply that a major advantage of train travel is the view out the window works against that effort. That assumes, of course, that the general public would look at a rounded-corner rectangle and have the slightest clue what it represents.

I personally don't believe the logo matters as much as people seem to think it does. I doubt that it by itself either enhances or detracts from membership. It is a symbol to which the actual actions and missions of the organization is associated and becomes a symbol for such. It could as well just be the three letters RPA in some stylized form. What matters is what actual action or reputation is associated with it. The fact that IBM's logo did not have a Hollerith Card associated with it did not seem to detract from it being highly recognizable and associated with Computers and IT.

The real issue is getting actual discernible actions firmly associated with whatever is the logo. If we fail in doing so, it does not matter whether it looks like a few letters, a window or a Muscovy Duck.

I'm confused, too. The only photo I see is a rectangular window with "Columbia River Basin" at the bottom--is that just an example of the format, and you are to do your own picture?

The photo shown actually looks like the alien blob in a Star Trek Next Generation episode, where the blob had captured Diana and kept sliding back and forth so she couldn't get back to her friends. So, as is, it would have more to do with star ships than with trains
default_tongue.png
.)

I'm confused, too. The only photo I see is a rectangular window with "Columbia River Basin" at the bottom--is that just an example of the format, and you are to do your own picture?

The photo shown actually looks like the alien blob in a Star Trek Next Generation episode, where the blob had captured Diana and kept sliding back and forth so she couldn't get back to her friends. So, as is, it would have more to do with star ships than with trains
default_tongue.png
.)
The logo is the window frame. You cannot have a registered logo with an arbitrary random picture according to anyone's whim of the moment associated with it. I will let Charlie go into that and the discussion that ensued at the Council meeting on that matter, instead of discussing more important issues, if Charlie cares to, that is.

Frankly, I don't care much for it myself, but as I explained, at the end of the day, I don;t think it matters much either. However, a lot of people do like to assert that it does, because their very livelihood depends on it.
default_wink.png

I think the main function of a logo is to be recognizable and uncontroversial. This latest version seems to fail at both goals. I'm sorry, but what was wrong with the last logo? To me it looked like an artsy rendition of a high speed train zooming past the viewer. Seemed fine for a passenger rail advocacy group. I'm not sure what this new version does better than the last or why any change was needed at this point.

So I have this dog and fire hydrant, or cat and head butting theory of logos among other things. I have noticed that a change in logo usually follow a change in regime where the new regime wants to, for whatever reason, distance itself from the previous regime. I don’t know for sure who exactly initiated this round, but it does appear to have a remarkable coincidence with a significant regime change. New regimes want to leave their own mark on the fire hydrants or everything in sight. It is about marking distinct territory. [emoji57]

What bugs me about it is that is inferior to either previous logo for every intent and purpose, and yet this is what NARP is spending their time on, as opposed to more useful things. Like pressuring NJTransit to stop ruining a painstakingly arranged system of misconnections.

Back