Amtrak App Update (October 24, 2017)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

districtRich

Service Attendant
I received an update to the Amtrak app on my Android phone today. It is definitely an overhaul and looks much different compared to the old app. It has a much more modern look than the old app. I didn't make any new bookings, but the interface to do it seems much better than the old way all the way through the payment page.

I received an update to the app on my iPhone today.

I received an update to the app on my iPhone today.
I had high hopes that it would now be able to pull up a reservation that wasn’t made by the app, but alas, the Amtrak systems that would allow this still do not have an interface between them. Not sure if the same holds true for reservations made on amtrak.com as it also didn’t work previously [emoji26][emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh OK. I had to pull the update.So

So the very first thing it did is lost all my reservations. Oh well. At least they are all still there on the main web site, and I had also created e-Tickets for them in Apple Wallet.
default_smile.png

Also the Progress towards Tier Status has a bit of catching up to do with reality, as it looks like it is about 500 points behind amtrakguestrewards.com. Oddly, I can;t think of anything that I did that is worth 500-ish points, to account for the difference. So maybe they threw a dart and displayed the number that it hit.
default_smile.png

This should be fun....

I am having trouble with looking up train status. EDIT: I figured it out, n/m.

NJ Transit still requires a paper ticket (not an eTicket). Paper tickets are pretty rare now, and must be mailed or printed at an Amtrak station.

I tried to book ACY->ALX and the app absolutely refused.

Capture+_2017-10-24-19-03-24.png

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I'm well aware of that. That does NOT explain why the app refuses to sell the ticket. The old app worked just fine.

Just book the ticket from PHL. You can buy the Transit ticket at the terminal in AC.

And take on the full risk of a missed connection if NJTransit had an issue? No thanks.
Repeat: the old app handled mailed tickets just fine. I used the website to order my tickets and they'll be mailed. I just find it odd that the app displays the choices just fine, then decides it won't sell you the ticket, and then gives *really* stupid advice to go to a station when a phone call or a website visit would work just fine. Very poor design.

I'm well aware of that. That does NOT explain why the app refuses to sell the ticket. The old app worked just fine.
The new app will not make any reservation that requires a paper ticket. This is by design and not surprising given how few paper value ticket routes are left.

The new app will not make any reservation that requires a paper ticket. This is by design and not surprising given how few paper value ticket routes are left.
I was wondering if that was the reason.

It that is intentional (literally no reason to do that since the website handles it just fine) then the alert should happen when you choose ACY as a station.
Furthermore, you should be directed to Amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Proper user interface is SO EASY.

I didn't update till today but as soon as I logged in, my eticket popped up, and I made that reservation over the phone... the one thing I don't like is I can't find the car or room number on it.

It that is intentional (literally no reason to do that since the website handles it just fine) then the alert should happen when you choose ACY as a station. Furthermore, you should be directed to Amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL. Proper user interface is SO EASY.
Using mobile devices and personal printers is the old way of doing things. Physically traveling to a station and buying your tickets in person during business hours is the newer and easier way.
default_laugh.png

It that is intentional (literally no reason to do that since the website handles it just fine) then the alert should happen when you choose ACY as a station. Furthermore, you should be directed to Amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL. Proper user interface is SO EASY.
Using mobile devices and a home/work printer to reserve a connecting seat on your schedule is the old way of doing things. Physically traveling to a station and buying your tickets in person during business hours is the newer and easier way. [emoji38]
Imagine if you LIVE in Atlantic City. And get that popup. How the heck do you buy your Amtrak tickets in person???

Using mobile devices and a home/work printer to reserve a connecting seat on your schedule is the old way of doing things. Physically traveling to a station and buying your tickets in person during business hours is the newer and easier way. [emoji38]
Imagine if you LIVE in Atlantic City. And get that popup. How the heck do you buy your Amtrak tickets in person???
At the quick track at ACY. Their's 2 of them there. Or at least their were.

At the quick track at ACY. Their's 2 of them there. Or at least their were.
Nope.
https://www.amtrak.com/content/amtrak/en-us/stations/acy.html

The new app does not allow using points to book a coach or business class reservation. So the only “improvement” I’ve seen in this thread is that someone’s ticket that was booked on the computer showed up in the app.

In my case, reservations that were visible in the previous version of the App have all disappeared from this one. So I can't see any improvement at all. I am glad none of the airlines that I use put me through this sort of ridiculous exercise of deploying seemingly untested, or at least extremely inadequately tested stuff and making them available to the public.

Yeah, say what you will about the on board experience of US airlines but they've honestly done a commendable job with putting as much of their business online as possible.

Back