Houston airport to Amtrak Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DFW is half way in between Dallas and Fort Worth. I believe it is served by TRE, which goes right to both stations!
DFW is actually served by DART Orange line on site.

From TRE you have to take a connecting shuttle bus or something like that and service is much less frequent.

For Love Field take Orange or Green Line to Love Field/Inwood station ad then take bus 524 to the airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
DFW is half way in between Dallas and Fort Worth. I believe it is served by TRE, which goes right to both stations!
DFW is also served by DART trains, Orange Line I think.

And in contrast to TRE, which requires a bus shuttle to get to the station, the DART station is actually right next to the terminals.

EDIT: I see jis beat me to it.

What's the easiest way from the Houston Airport to the Amtrak Station?
If you are arriving at George Bush International, there is the number 102 bus which leaves from Terminal C and goes to downtown. The fare I think is only $1.25. It doesn't serve Amtrak directly but passes in the general vicinity and if you look at maps of the downtown area you can work out how to walk there.

https://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/Schedules/BusSchedules/n102-Bush-IAH-Express.pdf

Do note that that general area is known for panhandling and shady characters so don't try that option if you''re not comfortable with such situations. This should be less of a problem during daylight hours.

Although having said that in my experience it's not anywhere near as bad as some people make out.

He’s coming from Houston Hobby. Looks like the 40 bus takes you downtown, but it’s not an easy walk to the station. I would take a cab/Uber/Lyft just to make it easier the whole way. Or to save money, take the 40 and a car from downtown.

IMG_0195.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Sounds like he's a Southwest Airlines customer, as Southwest dominates both Love and Hobby. This will be in his favor as both are close-in airports from the good old days. Any taxi/Lyft/Uber ride will be much cheaper than from Houston International or Dallas Ft Worth. If burdened by baggage, get a car. If backpacking, the Dallas light rail service sounds good.

The official name of IAH is Houston Intercontinental, since everything in Texas is bigger ;)
The full name is George Bush Intercontinental Airport these days. The intercontinental part doesn't bother me much, mainly because (1) it's true and (2) it's a far more relevant differentiator than the usual INTL badge. Besides, most of the time when an average American says "international" in the context of flying what they really mean is "intercontinental." They're just not curious or detail oriented enough to consider that most international flying involves short trips on regional aircraft rather than long trips on widebody aircraft traveling across oceans.

I wonder if IAH was named that because it was the hub for Continental Airlines, or does Texas just like to think big? :huh: :giggle:
Build big, think small. That's our motto. :rolleyes:

I wonder if IAH was named that because it was the hub for Continental Airlines, or does Texas just like to think big? :huh: :giggle:
At the time construction began at IAH, HOU was known as Houston International Airport (and had been since the present terminal...OK, well, everything has changed except the terra-cotta yellow rose on the main floor...was constructed in 1954) as service was operated to Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe. The "Intercontinental" moniker was intended to distinguish between the two airports (as well as sounding a bit more impressive...Texas braggadocio at work!). HOU was renamed after former Texas governor William P. Hobby in 1967.

The plan was that all passenger service would be consolidated at IAH and that HOU would become a general aviation airport only once the big airport finally, after many delays, opened to passenger service in June of 1969. That plan lasted not quite 18 months. Southwest Airlines was a start-up and their business model was small jets to small airports close to the center of the city. Dallas fought them for many years, trying to drive them to DFW, but in Houston the response was, "Okay." At the time the new IAH was already pushing design capacity and expansion was stalled...Terminal C would not in fact open until 1981. Once they were ensconced there, more airlines eventually moved in and HOU grew to be busier than it ever was in the 1960s.

He’s coming from Houston Hobby.
Is he? This whole thread is starting to sound more like a casual windup than a serious request for actionable information. Might as well ask "What's the easiest way from Texas to Amtrak?"
Yes. He literally said HOU when asked which airport.
Then he changed his origin to "Dallas Airport" repeating the exact same mistake, as if he just couldn't quite comprehend that large cities generally have more than one commercial airport. If someone is this flaky and indifferent about the details of their own trip they probably have no tickets or actionable plans to work with. Which means he could be coming from anywhere to anywhere or simply going nowhere at all.

Thanx for the helpful replies! As far as your replies, D.A., I'll just bite my lip & live to Post on AU another day. Meanwhile, I'll just hope you can read my mind!!!!! :hi:

I assume that is George H.W. Bush and not his son after whom the airport is named.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back