Texas Eagle - Austin to Dallas in November

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

First post here, only second time taking an Amtrak (first time was Acela between NY and Boston). Though it is a short trip I am very excited and looking forward to it and what may be a future recurring trip (to Marshall).

I booked a bedroom (B, car 2230) because I will need to get a lot of work done (laptop, using the phone for internet though not very important) and it was not that much more than a roomette... so why not!

I would like to have my lunch in the room and I read that this should be possible, but could someone please confirm?

Looking at the menu (http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com) is a salad included with the lunch item chosen (say the mussels) and a desert?

It seems that since the train leaves Austin at 9:31 am I will miss breakfast, and I should bring something to have it in the station maybe (I plan on working as soon as I get dropped off at the station). Could someone please confirm that there is no breakfast served leaving Austin (I read some trip reports where people seemed to have gotten breakfast, so I am a little confused).

I am planning on bringing an extension cord and power strip (my usual when traveling) so I can charge my laptop, phone, and GoPro.

Any advice?

I am really looking forward to it and I really enjoy reading the questions on this site (to learn) and the trip reports.

A salad is included but no desert as they are too dry. But you can get a dessert. :giggle:

Ask your SCA to bring the meal to your room. Be sure to show your appreciation.

Last edited by a moderator:
First post here, only second time taking an Amtrak.
Welcome to Amtrak and welcome to the forum.

I would like to have my lunch in the room and I read that this should be possible, but could someone please confirm?
Shouldn't be any problem. Just let the SCA know of your intention when you board. In theory this is a free service but I've noticed negative body language if I didn't tip on delivery. I'd also suggest printing/saving a copy of the menu before you travel since the SCA may not have one or be able to remember every option.

Looking at the menu is a salad included with the lunch item chosen (say the mussels) and a desert?
Yes, but you may need to specifically ask for them.

If the Train is close to on time in Austin Last Call for Breakfast will be here but only for Sleeping Car passengers.

Go directly to the Diner ( CCC) upon boarding, it is not announced.

Austin has 2 Lines to board under the Canopy by the Station,1 for Sleepers which the Conductor scans first, and then Coaches.

The Sleeper will be to your left (West) behind the Transdorm, in front of the CCC.

Lunch begins after the Temple stop,let your SAC know you'd like Room service.

Quick question for Bob Dylan (or anyone else) ... would you take a roomette in the Transdorm or in another car?
If you ride on a #422 day ( three days a week from LAX) the Revenue Sleeper is the #422 Sleeper and the Transdorm is the #22 Texas Eagle Sleeper.
On regular #22 days you will only be assigned a Roomette in the Transdorm ( there are no Bedrooms in the Transdorm) if the #22 Sleeper is Full When you book.

The Transdorm is a nice way to travel on most LD Trains. Google up the threads on AU on this topic.

I almost always eat in my room so when I board I mention that to the room attendant and say that I prefer to tip them instead of the dining car staff. They'll usually say that's their job and likely have a menu or two handy. Be prepared with a second meal choice though because sometimes the reality of the food service can be different than what you'd expect.

I think you're prepared and will truly enjoy your trip! It's a relaxing way to travel.

We always eat in our room, unless my wife is sleeping in and I am hungry for breakfast.

We have been traveling with our daughter, who is 2 and a half, and we are not ready to unleash her on the dining car. We let the Attendant know as soon as we board, and also that we will tip them at the end of the trip.

We love the train, especially with a little one. Super relaxing and fun, and you meet the most interesting people. We have taken nearly every long distance train in the west, and our working our way east. The Texas Eagle and Heartland Flyer are next in a few months!

Have a great trip! Make sure to read the forums for lots of tips (duct tape, electric strip, gps, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I'm booked in the TransDorm on the 5th of Nov heading from Dallas to Chicago. I've had it before and it was fine, I did not bother to call and see if anything else was open. My trip a few days earlier to Dallas is in the regular sleeper.

Thank you to all. I am really looking forward to this trip and I do love taking trains.

When I was in Europe I took trains every week (150 miles, took 4.5 hours at first and then the TGV cut it down to 50 minutes), and then for a year I took overnight trains every week between Germany and France.

So I am looking forward to my first experience on a Superliner!

A salad is included but no desert as they are too dry. But you can get a dessert. :giggle:
:huh:
No salad is included with lunch. Dinner yes on request, but not with lunch. (Most times, you may only order something like a burger which comes with potato chips.) But a desert is included when you have a sleeper, at bth lunch and dinner. As are non-alcoholic drinks (coffee/tea/soda/etc...).

:huh:
But a desert is included when you have a sleeper, at bth lunch and dinner. As are non-alcoholic drinks (coffee/tea/soda/etc...).
Only deserts are Sahara, Gobi, etc but they don't serve sand on the train. Desserts are served as they taste better than deserts. :giggle:

Hope you get it this time.

Back