Private Commuter Rail Service to Nashua NH?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
http://www.unionleader.com/local-government/Nashua-inks-deal-to-craft-private-rail-plan

NASHUA — City officials are taking the next step in helping to bring commuter rail into the Gate City.

On Tuesday, the Board of Aldermen voted to enter into a memorandum of understanding with the Boston Surface Railroad Company to create a plan to bring privately-funded passenger rail service to Nashua.

“If this could be accomplished, this would be a very significant step forward for Nashua,” said Mayor Jim Donchess.

Boston Surface Railroad Company of Rhode Island is in the early stages of working to bring rail from Bedford to Worcester, Mass., with stops in Lowell, Mass., and Nashua.

Last edited by a moderator:
from Bedford to Worcester, Mass., with stops in Lowell, Mass., and Nashua.
Admittedly I'm not super-familiar with this corridor...but.....what? A privately-owned commuter rail that runs between mid-size cities? I mean, even if you take into account that "Bedford" is apparently just outside of Manchester...

I would have to think Boston is the main traffic generator in this region, and this route seems to take a sharp right hand turn before it gets there. I assume it's designed to connect to MBTA commuter rail in Lowell?

I have no idea how this works at all. Ive been trying to pull this together Norristown to Reading- not private, but a small joint county authority- and thats a hell of a lot more practical line than this. And I have gotten exactly nowhere.

Is there any commuter rail agency in the country that at least breaks even? And I assume that the agencies are free of property tax on their real estate and equipment.

Back