Heads up -- lots of private cars -- Oct 13-15 CHI-MKE-MSP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtabern

Conductor
I thought railfans in the Chicago, Milwaukee, and Twin Cities corridor would like a "heads up" to the large amount of private cars moving through the weekend of Oct 13-15, 2017.

Friday, October 13th will see the Silver Lariat and Silver Solarium on the back of #7 between Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul. Both are short domes from the California Zephyr -- with one being a round-end observation car, too. This is a SOLD OUT charter organized by Zephyr Route Tours. The non-profit group that I head call APRHF Rail Rangers will be doing narration for guests on this trip.

Saturday, October 14th will see some of the Friends of the 261 cars on the back of #8 between St. Paul, Milwaukee, and Chicago. They are headed to the New River Train in West Virginia.

Sunday, October 15th will see the two Zephyr cars headed back east on #8... plus the Paxrail ex-Northern Pacific dome in the mix too. So, 3 short domes on #8 on October 15.

It should be a pretty cool weekend!

Thanks for the heads up. I may have to stop by the station or tracks somewhere this next weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver Lariat and Silver Solarium, as well as Silver Rapids, are on the end of Amtrak #6(10). I saw this eastbound California Zephyr at Agency, Iowa.

Back