Hotel near D.C. Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NETrainfan

Lead Service Attendant
Have you stayed in a hotel near Amtrak's Union Station in D.C.? Would appreciate the names of hotels. Thanks.

I've used the Hyatt Capitol Hill and the Liaison both about 3 block walk. Pricing is very variable based on day of the week and time of year......those are pretty nice places, there are others in the area at different price points.

Let Trip Advisor and its mapping feature be your friend and get precise locations, directions, and hundreds and hundreds of reviews (some perhaps from a stay only yesterday) along with photos, amenities and direct links to find rates from the hotel itself or any of the myriad of second-hand booking agencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a nice hotel close to Union Station ( across from the Old Post Office) called the Phoenix with an Great Irish Pub where we had our Gathering Dinner in 2012.

It can be pricey but deals can be found/Use the Travel Sites like Trip Advisor/Kayak etc.Theres plenty of hotels around Capitol Hill.

I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn - US Capitol, which is either a short Metro ride or medium walk (a little over a half mile) from Union Station. As with every hotel in DC, prices will vary depending on day of week, time of year and what is happening in town. I have lucked into very reasonable rates and sometimes not.

I have stayed at the Hyatt on Capitol Hill several times, including this past weekend. Nice accommodations and a very convenient, 10 minute walk from Union Station, and it can offer fairly reasonable (comparatively speaking) rates. This time I saw a $129 (excluding taxes) non refundable advance purchase rate; I used a $147 refundable rate.

Let Trip Advisor and its mapping feature be your friend and get precise locations, directions, and hundreds and hundreds of reviews (some perhaps from a stay only yesterday) along with photos, amenities and direct links to find rates from the hotel itself or any of the myriad of second-hand booking agencies.
Every time someone asks for personal opinions about hotels, restaurants, etc., near train stations, you want to send them to some internet outpost. The reason people are posting here is that they want someone's personal experiences as railroad travelers. The people here know how facilities are located in relation to railroad stations. i'm sure just about everybody knows about these internet sites by now. Often these sites are useless for any information about specific locales because opinions expressed on the sites are so widely varied as to be no good at all. If I look at a site where 50 percent of the people loved the hotel or restaurant while the other 50 percent hated it, then I have no reason to trust any of the opinions. Not to mention that sometimes the posters have a personal grudge against the establishment or in the opposite vein are the owners of the place. I'd sooner hear the views of AU-ers over complete internet strangers.

Actually, yes. Many of us have met in person, and even those that haven’t have conversed for many, many years.

That allows you to build trust in some posters opinions (and teaches you to be able to discount the opinions of others). Advice from people you know and trust is significantly more valuable than advice from random strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Actually, yes. Many of us have met in person, and even those that haven’t have conversed for many, many years.

That allows you to build trust in some posters opinions (and teaches you to be able to discount the opinions of others). Advice from people you know and trust is significantly more valuable than advice from random strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
^^This^^

Also, there's times where there's just too much information on travel websites to really be able to digest it easily, especially in a larger city. There's also quite a bit of validity in asking on a train forum about which hotels are convenient from an Amtrak station - while a map can show you theoretical on-the-ground information, someone who's done it before knows how well it works, how the walk was to/from, whether it was pleasant or not, etc. Those items are often lacking in hotel reviews, because they're not directly related to the hotel itself and most people don't find themselves traveling Amtrak. They're also hard to discern from a map because they either aren't detailed enough or just can't easily convey "pleasantness of a walk" on a map.

For the OP, I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Washington/US Capitol just north of the station. It's a 15ish minute walk from Union Station and was easily walkable with luggage (if I remember correctly, there's an exit from the Metrorail station right onto the street, and you just follow the street north to the hotel.) On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I've stayed at what's now the City House Hostels: Washington DC. For a hostel, it was pleasant and very well situated (a 10-15 minute walk down H St, exit Union Station from the bus garage. Even easier now with the streetcar.) Definitely worth the $30 or so a night I paid for a bunk bed there.

I second the recommendation of the Willard. While not close to Union Station the Omni Shoreham is on the Red Line at the Woodley Park Zoo stop, so a straight shot from Union Station with no changes.

Also, there's times where there's just too much information on travel websites to really be able to digest it easily, especially in a larger city.

I'm no genius, but have never found the information provided on Trip Advisor to be overwhelming.

There's also quite a bit of validity in asking on a train forum about which hotels are convenient from an Amtrak station - while a map can show you theoretical on-the-ground information, someone who's done it before knows how well it works, how the walk was to/from, whether it was pleasant or not, etc. Those items are often lacking in hotel reviews, because they're not directly related to the hotel itself and most people don't find themselves traveling Amtrak. They're also hard to discern from a map because they either aren't detailed enough or just can't easily convey "pleasantness of a walk" on a map.
While it's true that the map function of Trip Advisor doesn't reveal how well the walk from the train station to the hotel works (?), how it was (?), whether it was pleasant or unpleasant (?) I can't seem to find many replies on this or similar threads that convey this kind of highly subjective information. Are you telling me you're going to cloud up and rain all over anybody that doesn't include all this touchy-feely info in their reply? Of course you won't. You simply conjured all that stuff up as ammunition to pooh-pooh my recommendation regarding Trip Advisor.

The OP asked for "Hotel Near D.C. Union Station". And while I don't know what she meant by "close", the three recommendations so far for the Willard at 1.55 miles distant seem a bit beyond "close" - to me, at least. And it's cheapest room in excess of $400 may not be too close either.

And while the reigning clique here on AU may not like it, I'll continue to mention Trip Advisor without fear of opening up the door to too much information. It's all I use to select and book a hotels prior to any trip. Don't like what I write? Put me on your Ignore List.

2 of the three people who liked the Willard did mention it was not close, myself included. I mentioned hotels that were much closer, and that I have stayed at when arriving at Union Station. Regardless of what some people think about ratings and reviews at Trip Advisor, the location mapping and other filters available are certainly useful. Willard is below $200 right now, It will shoot back up in a few weeks, but that is typical DC pricing, all over the map based on what is going on in DC.

Don't like what I write? Put me on your Ignore List.
Or, people can respond with reasons why they disagree with your posts. As a moderator, part of why this is a forum is for the civil exchange of ideas. People will disagree with each other, and it's a bit frustrating when people say to simply ignore them if they don't like their posts instead of engaging their ideas in a civil manner and responding to the content.

I don't disagree that TripAdvisor is a good resource, but people get their information in different ways and prefer asking a certain audience, especially if they feel like they can ask the group follow-up questions if they prefer or they've engaged with a group of people (even online) in the past. Saying that it's wrong for someone to come to a train forum to ask about hotels near the train station (presumably for a trip they're taking on the train) seems a bit off base. Is it wrong for someone to ask in a cruise forum which hotel to stay at near the initial port of call? Is it wrong for someone to ask on a Disney forum where to stay near Disney World? I don't think so, and thus it's also not wrong for someone to ask in a train forum where to stay near a major train station.

If you like TripAdvisor, great! Keep using it; I have no problem with using TripAdvisor (I often use it myself.) But don't be surprised when people ask here for information as well and prefer to ask here rather than rely solely on the standard review websites online.

Also, there's times where there's just too much information on travel websites to really be able to digest it easily, especially in a larger city.

I'm no genius, but have never found the information provided on Trip Advisor to be overwhelming.

There's also quite a bit of validity in asking on a train forum about which hotels are convenient from an Amtrak station - while a map can show you theoretical on-the-ground information, someone who's done it before knows how well it works, how the walk was to/from, whether it was pleasant or not, etc. Those items are often lacking in hotel reviews, because they're not directly related to the hotel itself and most people don't find themselves traveling Amtrak. They're also hard to discern from a map because they either aren't detailed enough or just can't easily convey "pleasantness of a walk" on a map.
While it's true that the map function of Trip Advisor doesn't reveal how well the walk from the train station to the hotel works (?), how it was (?), whether it was pleasant or unpleasant (?) I can't seem to find many replies on this or similar threads that convey this kind of highly subjective information. Are you telling me you're going to cloud up and rain all over anybody that doesn't include all this touchy-feely info in their reply? Of course you won't. You simply conjured all that stuff up as ammunition to pooh-pooh my recommendation regarding Trip Advisor.

The OP asked for "Hotel Near D.C. Union Station". And while I don't know what she meant by "close", the three recommendations so far for the Willard at 1.55 miles distant seem a bit beyond "close" - to me, at least. And it's cheapest room in excess of $400 may not be too close either.

And while the reigning clique here on AU may not like it, I'll continue to mention Trip Advisor without fear of opening up the door to too much information. It's all I use to select and book a hotels prior to any trip. Don't like what I write? Put me on your Ignore List.
In DC, 1.55 miles is "close." WAS is by the Capitol and the Willard is by the White House. That's pretty close to each other. Its not like the Willard is in Dulles, Occoquan, or Stafford or even Rosslyn or Takoma.

It isn't walking distance, and there are lots of hotels of all types and price points much closer. The 2 areas are really considered as separate if you were looking for lodging or restaurants....

Saying that it's wrong for someone to come to a train forum to ask about hotels near the train station (presumably for a trip they're taking on the train) seems a bit off base
Don't think I ever said or even implied that it was wrong. But if I did, PM me and I'll edit it out. Nothing at all wrong with asking here.

By that same token I see nothing wrong with mentioning Trip Advisor. To me, it's foolhardy to presume somebody already knows about it. If they do, it can be ignored. But if not, the additional info (gobs of reviews, location map, sample rate when the icon is hovered, photos, rankings, amenities, links, etc.) might possibly prove useful in making an informed booking decision.

After being a member of this forum for a year or two and following the "What Hotel?" threads, I've concluded that the info provided here is much too skimpy for me to use in decision making. And not knowing what any OP is aware of, I'll continue to provide a little plug for Trip Advisor - just because it's all I ever use in making decisions of that sort. I also use Google Earth and its Street View to see what the neighborhood is like between the station and the hotel as well as its Ruler Tool to measure distances.

But I'm an old retired coot living way out in the boondocks with plenty of spare time to fritter away looking into the "What Hotel?" question. :)

In DC, 1.55 miles is "close." WAS is by the Capitol and the Willard is by the White House. That's pretty close to each other. Its not like the Willard is in Dulles, Occoquan, or Stafford or even Rosslyn or Takoma.
Thanks for that inside information and the geography lesson. But neither the OP nor I are from DC. And if the OP's idea of "close" is something within walking distance and she's as old as I am..........

There's a nice hotel close to Union Station ( across from the Old Post Office) called the Phoenix with an Great Irish Pub where we had our Gathering Dinner in 2012.

It can be pricey but deals can be found/Use the Travel Sites like Trip Advisor/Kayak etc.Theres plenty of hotels around Capitol Hill.
Love this place, but the rooms are a bit small in my experience.

The closest hotel to Union Station, as some have said and anyone can ascertain, is the Phoenix Park Hotel. According to Google maps, it is 0.2 miles from Union Station and the time it takes to walk there from Union Station is 4 minutes. Obviously, depending on your pace, mobility, etc. you may get there quicker or slower than average. Hence the walk may be anywhere from 3-6 minutes for most. If I recall correctly, most of the walk to the hotel is downhill, which is nice if you have luggage. Obviously, upon returning to the station it will be uphill (it is a modest grade, not a hill really.)

I have stayed there twice off Amtrak LD trains. I can attest that it is a nice hotel quite suitable for business and tourists too. I believe it is Irish and has a pub. I've eaten breakfast there and it was quite good. As some have said, the rooms tend to be small, in the European tradition. Decor is in the same tradition.

As for rates, I would say it's mid-range, but people's wallets vary in size so it's best to check out rates on your own. For walking to and from Union Station with no public or private transportation, I don't think you can do better. (The Kimpton George Hotel is one minute further from the station, per Google Maps.)

Congratulations Manny T! This...

The closest hotel to Union Station, as some have said and anyone can ascertain, is the Phoenix Park Hotel. According to Google maps, it is 0.2 miles from Union Station and the time it takes to walk there from Union Station is 4 minutes. Obviously, depending on your pace, mobility, etc. you may get there quicker or slower than average. Hence the walk may be anywhere from 3-6 minutes for most. If I recall correctly, most of the walk to the hotel is downhill, which is nice if you have luggage. Obviously, upon returning to the station it will be uphill (it is a modest grade, not a hill really.)

I have stayed there twice off Amtrak LD trains. I can attest that it is a nice hotel quite suitable for business and tourists too. I believe it is Irish and has a pub. I've eaten breakfast there and it was quite good. As some have said, the rooms tend to be small, in the European tradition. Decor is in the same tradition.

As for rates, I would say it's mid-range, but people's wallets vary in size so it's best to check out rates on your own. For walking to and from Union Station with no public or private transportation, I don't think you can do better. (The Kimpton George Hotel is one minute further from the station, per Google Maps.)
...is the very best reply I recall ever reading on this forum. I wish they could all be as informative as yours.

Regards

P.S.: Here's the result of a Google Maps direction search encompassing the four closest hotels to the station;

DC Hotels.jpg

Congratulations Manny T! This...

...is the very best reply I recall ever reading on this forum. I wish they could all be as informative as yours.

Regards
Liaison Capitol Hill on New Jersey is two blocks from the station in the same direction and is also mid-range. They have a very good restaurant there that is one of Art Smiths. Easy walk.

Back