12 PV's on tonight's 48!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwolf

Conductor
Will try to get some photos, but here's a heads-up to enthusiasts between Chicago and Albany.

There's 12 private cars on the back of #48 tonight (9/11/17). Twelve of them!

That makes my train one of the, if not THE longest passenger train running in North America this week!

Get your cameras ready!

They're likely going to the upcoming AAPRCO convention in Burlington, VT.
Affirmative. We ditch them in Albany, where they'll hitch a ride on something else. We're also apparently three revenue cars longer than normal tonight as well. The we spanned the full length of platform 26 at CUS, both north and south concourse.

Looks like someone is paying an extra locomotive charge. This is one of the few times A year we hit the excessive private car limit.
Indeed, three locomotives led the train.

We did have an issue almost immediately after leaving Chicago. Upon arrival at South Bend, all HEP died and the train coasted to a stop. We sat for nearly 30 minutes before pulling slowly to the east to clear the main and stopped again.

No A/C, lights or toilets for over an hour while crew walked the train looking for something. The issue was mitigated and we were on our way again, but the damage to the schedule was done. When we arrived into Albany, I walked back to look at the PV's and noticed all of them had on-board generators running. Makes me wonder if the HEP load was too much for the normal train plus PV's, necessitating the axing of power to them since they had back up generators?

We were a seriously long train...

You think 12 is big. Wait till you see the cardinal in November should be at minimum 12 on one day. Could be more. Depends if I need more cars for my charter if there will be more.

Isn't the Auto Train longer? Although the car carrier's need no HEP.... but what about the summertime Canadian?

Should be 22 private cars on 51-01 in November. Nine of which I'm chartering if my contract doesn't cancel out for the charter I'm running.

If anyone wants deadhead space they can reach out to me.

Isn't the Auto Train longer? Although the car carrier's need no HEP.... but what about the summertime Canadian?
There was no Auto Train running that week due to Irma.

12 PV's plus 14 (including the two bags) cars for 48/448 on that date made for 26 cars. That's close what a Summertime Canadian runs, if I'm not mistaken.

Back