Amfleet I Interior Refresh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of reminds me of the Brightline designs I've seen online. I'm glad they're doing it, but the grey looks kind of depressing to me.

Wonder when they're gonna finally start to repaint the exterior to match the new baggage/viewliner cars.

This makes me happy. Amtrak's interiors where beginning to look tired. Looking at the Midwest routes listed, I wonder if they're refreshing some Horizon equipment too or just the business/cafe cars.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Didn't see any reference to hvac systems. If it's too hot or too cold inside these cars it's kind of like putting sugar on a turd. The superliner 1 sleeper upgrades were great until one rode in a car without AC in august.

Interested to see how this effects the Club Cafe seats which are quite different than the Amfleet I Coach and Business class seats. They have leg rests in addition to the footrests and the 2-1 layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://blog.amtrak.com/2017/08/amfleet-refresh/

• Brand-new seat cushions
  • New carpeting
  • New LED reading lights
  • New bathroom flooring
  • Upgraded wainscoting and bulkhead
  • New curtains in Business Class cars
  • Redesigned galleys in the café cars
No mention of decreased seat pitch. Does that mean that the introduction of steerage class, which was rumored a while back. require another ''refresh"?

• Brand-new seat cushions
  • New carpeting
  • New LED reading lights
  • New bathroom flooring
  • Upgraded wainscoting and bulkhead
  • New curtains in Business Class cars
  • Redesigned galleys in the café cars
No mention of decreased seat pitch. Does that mean that the introduction of steerage class, which was rumored a while back. require another ''refresh"?
Anderson explicitly said there will be no reduction in seat pitch during his CBS appearance.

Looks like they'll be modernizing the interiors of the Amfleet I cars! They are getting quite dated and run-down.

"New bathroom flooring". How about cleaning them more than once a trip? Or better yet, install a self-cleaning system so all the attendant has to do is turn a key which locks the room until the automated cleaner is finished. I'm sure the attendant can manage that.

Still no center armrests, even in business class. Really?
Good catch. Amtrak seems to struggle with the concept of any sort of seat divider. Leaving Business Class in the cold implies an amazing level of tone deafness.

Didn't see any reference to hvac systems. If it's too hot or too cold inside these cars it's kind of like putting sugar on a turd. The superliner 1 sleeper upgrades were great until one rode in a car without AC in august.
The Superliner upgrades didn't involve important issues like clumsy and outdated HVAC systems and poorly performing sewage plumbing. Amtrak didn't even bother to finish the Superliner 1 fleet before ending the refurbishment program and calling it quits.

Looks like they'll be modernizing the interiors of the Amfleet I cars! They are getting quite dated and run-down.

"New bathroom flooring". How about cleaning them more than once a trip? Or better yet, install a self-cleaning system so all the attendant has to do is turn a key which locks the room until the automated cleaner is finished. I'm sure the attendant can manage that.
I don't think any of the self cleaning bathroom systems have proven to be operationally practical and financially viable. Some things are still cheaper and easier for a human to accomplish, unless it's a car attendant with too much ego/pride to touch anything below their perceived status.

Im guessing reusing the seats with new cushions represents substantial cost savings.

strip 62/72 seats, replace cushions and covers, remove and replace carpet, bathroom floors, lighting, bulkheads and trim for 36k seems pretty cheap

Still no center armrests, even in business class. Really?
I'm not a fan of center armrests. Reminds me of being on an airliner, and since I'm a bigger guy that is just annoying and makes me uncomfortable.

Total price tag is $16 million, which isn't a bad price tag and the time line is impressive as well. I'll guess that this may be because of Richard Anderson. But this project is needed.

WIth every upgrade the cars get uglier and more monotone. I suggest we lobby for a return to their original color scheme.

Looks like something from a cheap bargain basement store trying to look like Brightline. From their picture, it looks like Brightline has center arm rests and a hand hold on the side of each seat, which the new Amfleet seats do not.

And I don't care how easy they are to clean, how soon before someone on the Northeast Regional puts their dirty sneakers on the seat and leaves black marks all over it, and someone else puts their dirty luggage that's been goodness knows where and scuffs it, or even a usually conscientious person accidentally spills their coffee on it? At least the blue had some (not much, but some) personality. This is just bland and is a reminder that Amfleet I is the bottom of the barrel in Amtrak's system.

Well, to be fair, I was thinking specifically of the Regionals between New York and Washington.

Keystone riders between Philly and Harrisburg are usually very polite and well-behaved, as are most riders on the Carolinian, and I'm sure riders on other Amfleet I routes that I haven't been on.

Does it say that will be the color of the seats? My impression is that it is a monochrome picture and not the actual colors that will be used.

I think this means that service to Roanoke is a real thing:

"... during the next several months, hundreds of Amtrak employees, alongside our industry partners, will perform the maintenance and overhaul work at facilities across the northeastern U.S. including ... Roanoke, Virginia."

I think this means that service to Roanoke is a real thing:

"... during the next several months, hundreds of Amtrak employees, alongside our industry partners, will perform the maintenance and overhaul work at facilities across the northeastern U.S. including ... Roanoke, Virginia."
Service begins Oct. 31. Why would you not think it was a real thing?

Back