Three day visit to Alpine, TX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent three days in Alpine visiting both elected and business leaders talkin about their three day a week Amtrak service. Community has been very active in letting Washington know not only do they need Amtrak but they also want daily service.

We stayed at Holland Hotel just across the street. Tell them you arrived by Amtrak and you will get a warm reception. Town is very walkable and has several unique shops (sorry no Walmart). While there is no nation car rental chain there, they do have independent car rental service. County courthouse is original and worth a quicksee. You are in the heart of wide open Texas, but within reasonable driving distances are Big Bend National park, Marfa TX with its misterious lights and Guadalupe Mtns.

For train watchers. This is UPS main line Los Angeles to Houston and is crew chain town so there is considerable freight traffic.

Great that you liked the place of my birth and where I had my first Train ride on the old ESPEE!!( my Grandfather was an ESPEE hand for 40 years in West Texas on this Line)

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent three days in Alpine visiting both elected and business leaders talkin about their three day a week Amtrak service. Community has been very active in letting Washington know not only do they need Amtrak but they also want daily service.

We stayed at Holland Hotel just across the street. Tell them you arrived by Amtrak and you will get a warm reception. Town is very walkable and has several unique shops (sorry no Walmart). While there is no nation car rental chain there, they do have independent car rental service. County courthouse is original and worth a quicksee. You are in the heart of wide open Texas, but within reasonable driving distances are Big Bend National park, Marfa TX with its misterious lights and Guadalupe Mtns.

For train watchers. This is UPS main line Los Angeles to Houston and is crew chain town so there is considerable freight traffic.
Funny to read this post, since I was debating one day doing an Alpine trip for the purposes of seeing this town, nearby Marfa, and also Big Bend National Park!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back