Lafayette, LA station - any information?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Starting to plan another US journey and looking at de-training from the eastbound Sunset at Lafayette so we can catch a Greyhound across to Jacksonville, FL. The logic is the SL gets in around 5pm and a Greyhound leaves from the same station at 11pm, so a good chance of having a seamless transfer.

Looked up the station and it looks through google view as though it's substantial, but there are no facilities at all what so ever, is there a story here as to why no staff and no facilities?

If we continue onto New Orleans arriving at 9:40pm or there abouts we have to wait until the following day to catch a bus which means another night accommodation to find plus a couple of cab fares in a city not well know for budget accommodation.

Any help with Lafayette appreciated

I was driving through Lafayette at least 12 years ago and observed the westbound train at Lafayette. The substantial railroad station serves as the transit center for the local bus system and apparently Greyhound, too. There are no Amtrak personnel, but there was a decent waiting room and facilities. It may have changed somewhat in the intervening years.

Thanks for the info greatcats, just checked out Lake Charles too and it looks similar but with less padding between arriving and leaving. The current station guide says there are no rest rooms either which could be a long 6 hours until the bus comes in, ok for me but maybe not for women.

Jumping the gun a little as it looks as though there is a Greyhound station alongside the Amtrak station and that is open and manned from 5am to 11:30pm every day even though the Amtrak station isn't manned.

Would still be interested if anyone has any local knowledge such as a place to eat before we get on the bus.

Thanks

As a resident of Lafayette. Yes, the transit station also serves Greyhound and Amtrak. The Greyhound station is staffed, as is the transit office for the LTS (Lafayette Transit System), but since you are connecting to Greyhound here at Lafayette, that wont be an issue for you.

There is a good restaurant within walking distance of the station, its 1 block heading west, called Dwyers Cafe. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The prices are good, the food is good. You cant go wrong there.

Dwyers Cafe has a buffet option, or you can order from a menu of items. Either way, you should enjoy the food. I've never had bad food at Dwyers, ever.

If you have more questions, feel free to shoot me a private message here.

Anthony.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very good information Anthony, thank you very much.

This is all still the initial plan stage at the moment and just trying to work out if and how to connect up various ideas, and there are about 50 ideas to work through. Anthony, I will contact you a little further down the line and very kind of you to offer. Bob will pm you soon too.

Back