Meeting my new love - The Boeing 777

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B757Guy

Service Attendant
Well, after 12 years and almost 9800 hours of time in the 757/767, it's time to say goodbye... I'm moving up to the 777, and off to school and sim work in 2 weeks. Looking into possibly taking Amtrak to get to our training base, but so far that doesn't seem to be working out! :(

This will be my third Boeing type rating, having started my career on the 737 some 24 years ago! I'll get some pics and share when able...

Well, after 12 years and almost 9800 hours of time in the 757/767, it's time to say goodbye... I'm moving up to the 777, and off to school and sim work in 2 weeks. Looking into possibly taking Amtrak to get to our training base, but so far that doesn't seem to be working out! :(

This will be my third Boeing type rating, having started my career on the 737 some 24 years ago! I'll get some pics and share when able...
Wow...another airline pilot in our midst....Welcome to AU!!!

Very nice 'signature', too.... :)

Edit...well I now see that you've been with us for a while, but welcome anyway, and congratulations on 'graduation' to Triple Seven's....

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...

I fondly recall GG1's zipping along the NEC, and sleeping in a slumbercoach on the Montrealer as a kid. I miss the old heritage cars, the GG1 and the original Budd Metroliners. The new equipment today simply doesn't have the same personality and elegance...
There is no disputing that the 777 has an impressive technical design and best-in-class operational record. It's one of the safest, most successful, and longest range commercial passenger aircraft ever built. But when I look at a 777 from the boarding gate I see very little personality or elegance. In fact it looks little different than a 767 on steroids. Which itself looks similar to a fattened up 737. I miss the days of L-1011's, DC-10's/MD-11's, and 727's in routine passenger service. The end of the 747 passenger era appears to be quickly approaching as well. The A340 line is already dead and if the A380 line continues its present course toward accelerated obsolescence it won't be long before we are stuck with legions of barely distinguishable twins employed in nearly every role and purpose. The original design for the 787 was actually kind of amazing. Unfortunately after it underwent manufacturing and maintenance standardizing revisions it looked just like any other twin. :(

Have to agree, but airliner's are designed for maximum efficiency, and not variety for the pleasure of us enthusiast's....

That said, there is still lot's of variety out there, and if nothing else, different color scheme's to enjoy..

When SST or HST or whatever finally reappears then we will see new variety...

While I like the 777, the 787, the 350 and the 380, the 747 will always hold a very special place in my thoughts as will the 707. The latter because it was my first flight and in my opinion still is one of the sleekest looking jets specially in its later models.

Um...

I fondly recall GG1's zipping along the NEC, and sleeping in a slumbercoach on the Montrealer as a kid. I miss the old heritage cars, the GG1 and the original Budd Metroliners. The new equipment today simply doesn't have the same personality and elegance...
There is no disputing that the 777 has an impressive technical design and best-in-class operational record. It's one of the safest, most successful, and longest range commercial passenger aircraft ever built. But when I look at a 777 from the boarding gate I see very little personality or elegance. In fact it looks little different than a 767 on steroids. Which itself looks similar to a fattened up 737. I miss the days of L-1011's, DC-10's/MD-11's, and 727's in routine passenger service. The end of the 747 passenger era appears to be quickly approaching as well. The A340 line is already dead and if the A380 line continues its present course toward accelerated obsolescence it won't be long before we are stuck with legions of barely distinguishable twins employed in nearly every role and purpose. The original design for the 787 was actually kind of amazing. Unfortunately after it underwent manufacturing and maintenance standardizing revisions it looked just like any other twin. :(
Well thanks for pissing in my cheerios! :) Although I am with you on the MD-11, it was a sweet plane, but an a squirrely beast to land at times! I've got 300 hours in the MD-11 as an FO, way back when, and while I loved it, it could be a challenge to land, especially in a crosswind.

While I like the 777, the 787, the 350 and the 380, the 747 will always hold a very special place in my thoughts as will the 707. The latter because it was my first flight and in my opinion still is one of the sleekest looking jets specially in its later models.
Ditto! Still remember climbing the spiral staircase up to the Lounge in the 747!
My first real Jet Flight was in the 707 When the Friendly Skies really were Friendly!

Ditto! Still remember climbing the spiral staircase up to the Lounge in the 747!
My first real Jet Flight was in the 707 When the Friendly Skies really were Friendly!
Except that in the "Friendly Skies", you were more likely flying in a DC-8... ;) UAL did not operate B-707's (they did have the smaller and similar B-720's)...

Except that in the "Friendly Skies", you were more likely flying in a DC-8... ;) UAL did not operate B-707's (they did have the smaller and similar B-720's)...
Nope, it was a 707, I just used the Slogan as an example to recall the days when Airline Flying really was Fun!!!

By the time I flew on United the first time DC-8s were on their very last leg at United. The last time I flew a 707 was before the 80s. Lots and lots of 727s back in the 80s and 90s though. And 737s and 320s of course.

My first airline flight, (courtesy of 'Uncle Sam'), was on a Braniff 707 on a one stop flight from JFK to San Antonio via Dallas Love Field.

Very memorable...especially the lovely "Stew's" that served us. :)

Later, when I lived in Denver, UAL became my airline of choice. My favorite was the Super DC-8-61 and 63's....

Closest thing to being on a train, with those looong cabins :)

The 757-300s remind me a bit of the DC 8-6xs.

On my fourth flight on a 707, an Air India 707 (Dhaulagiri) BOM - DEL we got hit by a lightning on the left wing, as we were taking off from Bombay Santa Cruz Airport in the middle of a torrential Monsoon downpour. That was quite memorable in and of itself.

My first flight on anything was on an Air India 707 (Lhotse) DEL - SVO - LHR. It was a rather uncommon route back in those days with a flight only on AI twice a week. The flight across the Hindu Kush over Afghanistan was spectacular. I even remember the routing from Delhi. It was Rawalpindi, Kabul, Termez, Tashkent, Aralsk, Moscow. The Soviets forced the flight on a very narrow predefined corridor, unlike today.

Cool fact, the DC8 with four P/W JTD3's created a total of 72,000 pounds of thrust. The 777 with 2 engines, generates almost 3X that, as 196,000 pounds of thrust.

It's not nearly as impressive in terms of size and performance, but I'm going to miss the 757/767 greatly. My last trip is this weekend, to Paris. :(

I honestly have no idea what aircraft my first flight was on. I was too young to notice and my family didn't keep track of such details. -_-

Cool fact, the DC8 with four P/W JTD3's created a total of 72,000 pounds of thrust. The 777 with 2 engines, generates almost 3X that, as 196,000 pounds of thrust. It's not nearly as impressive in terms of size and performance, but I'm going to miss the 757/767 greatly. My last trip is this weekend, to Paris. :(
The 777 is amazingly powerful but it's also so big you don't really notice the speed from within the passenger cabin. The 757 always seemed to have a bit of a kick to it though. Out of the aircraft I've flown the only one that I can remember really pushing it during takeoff was an old NW DC-9. It was a small load, short flight, and late push. Felt like we were wheels up halfway down and 45% on the climb. That's probably way off from reality but it certainly felt like no other flight I'd ever experienced. I wish I could have seen what it looked like from ground level.

I honestly have no idea what aircraft my first flight was on. I was too young to notice and my family didn't keep track of such details. -_-

Cool fact, the DC8 with four P/W JTD3's created a total of 72,000 pounds of thrust. The 777 with 2 engines, generates almost 3X that, as 196,000 pounds of thrust. It's not nearly as impressive in terms of size and performance, but I'm going to miss the 757/767 greatly. My last trip is this weekend, to Paris. :(
The 777 is amazingly powerful but it's also so big you don't really notice the speed from within the passenger cabin. The 757 always seemed to have a bit of a kick to it though. Out of the aircraft I've flown the only one that I can remember really pushing it during takeoff was an old NW DC-9. It was a small load, short flight, and late push. Felt like we were wheels up halfway down and 45% on the climb. That's probably way off from reality but it certainly felt like no other flight I'd ever experienced. I wish I could have seen what it looked like from ground level.
Yep, the DC-9 was one heck of a climber, especially the Series 20 variant, which was often times called the DC-9 Sport. The 757 is a great climber too. I've had the opportunity to fly a few empties for re-positioning, and have gotten 4700 FPM and a 22 degree nose up pitch angle at times! It was a blast!

Nice. Hopefully I'll be joining the Boeing club shortly!

Nice. Hopefully I'll be joining the Boeing club shortly!
Nice! Let me know if I can help in any way!

Flew in and out of some neat places like Hayden, Eagle, Montrose, and Gunnison, Co.; and Jackson, Wy., on AA 757's. The pilots called them "Hot Rods". :)

Well thanks for pissing in my cheerios! :) Although I am with you on the MD-11, it was a sweet plane, but [] a squirrely beast to land at times! I've got 300 hours in the MD-11 as an FO, way back when, and while I loved it, it could be a challenge to land, especially in a crosswind.
Sorry about that. ^_^ The honest truth is that I'm slightly envious of commercial pilots. You have a career that is more interesting and respected among laymen and is probably a lot more fun once you’re past the initial training/rating/proving stages. That being said, if I was a commercial pilot myself I’d probably be a lot more stressed and a lot more burned out on travel in general. The only DC-10's and MD-11's we receive now are from FedEx (freight) and UPS (maintenance). Once upon a time Northwest sent their DC-10's here for D-checks but that feels like ages ago now.

Yep, the DC-9 was one heck of a climber, especially the Series 20 variant, which was often times called the DC-9 Sport. The 757 is a great climber too. I've had the opportunity to fly a few empties for re-positioning, and have gotten 4700 FPM and a 22 degree nose up pitch angle at times! It was a blast!
I'm not entirely sure which version it was. I always forget to check the door plate and prior to that flight I never would have assumed a DC-9 was anything special anyway. I suppose I could have asked the staff for details but that flight was shortly after 9-11 and people were getting really weird about anything that sounded like technical questions. Actually, they're almost as weird about it today as they were a decade ago. I thought about starting a log book to document my travels but then I thought about trying to explain such a thing to a flight attendant or TSA agent and I lost all interest.

No worries my friend, and thank you for the comments. I wouldn't worry about TSA or a flight attendant giving you grief over a logbook. I've had passengers that collect tail numbers literally come on board with binoculars to spot other planes while we taxi. That one did get a FA upset, but we worked it out with no issue.

Are you an A&P?? Work in aviation?

Um...

Well thanks for pissing in my cheerios! :) Although I am with you on the MD-11, it was a sweet plane, but an a squirrely beast to land at times! I've got 300 hours in the MD-11 as an FO, way back when, and while I loved it, it could be a challenge to land, especially in a crosswind.
The only time I've ever been in first class was on an MD-11. I do remember taking my kid to an airshow at an Air Force base where we did a tour of a KC-10 and my 3 year old kid got to be at the controls along with a photo with a pilot (who might have been younger than the plane). What was really odd was someone else touring the plane who claimed to be a flight attendant. She looked at the coffee maker and said it was the same as the kind she used on MD-11s and DC-10s.

Isn't getting rated for a 787 just a little bit more work once you're rated on the 777?

I guess the next thing you'll be working on is Airbus and getting used to stick controls.

No worries my friend, and thank you for the comments. I wouldn't worry about TSA or a flight attendant giving you grief over a logbook. I've had passengers that collect tail numbers literally come on board with binoculars to spot other planes while we taxi. That one did get a FA upset, but we worked it out with no issue. Are you an A&P?? Work in aviation?
My work has nothing to do with aviation of any sort unfortunately. When I say "we" I just mean the local airport (KSAT) and maintenance areas. My job is in technical support and sysadmin work. I just happen to find commercial flying and aircraft design/operation interesting topics. When I was a little boy I loved flying despite knowing next to nothing about how it actually worked. Over time my passion for flying dimmed and waned as other interests began to dominate my life. Many years later I got a job working in a building overlooking the airport and something about that experience rekindled my interest. I've been watching planes and following the industry ever since. There's a comedian named Bill Burr who talks about flying helicopters as a hobby on his podcast, and although I have no interest in helicopters he keeps reminding me that I need to look into a private pilot license before I get too old to make it happen.

Back