Agent

Moonlight Dome on Amtrak #5(18)

I caught the westbound California Zephyr arriving in Ottumwa, Iowa this evening with the Baltimore and Ohio dome car Moonlight Dome. (Also some nice demonstrations of track safety awareness by a few locals.)

I caught the westbound California Zephyr arriving in Ottumwa, Iowa this evening with the Baltimore and Ohio dome car Moonlight Dome. (Also some nice demonstrations of track safety awareness by a few locals.)

Now, now, you can't realistically expect them to wait a full minute and twenty-one seconds, now, can you?

That's a pretty rare example of a Budd built "low profile" dome car, one of three originally built for the 'stillborn' C&O "Chessie" streamliner. B&O also had a pair of Pullman-Standard built low profile domes, (distinctive all flat panel glass).

Would I be correct in guessing the reason for the low profile was the catenary in and around Washington DC?

Correct, and possibly some other clearance issues...

I have ridden on B&O domes in and out of Washington, and as a further safety precaution, they did not allow dome occupancy until (or after) Silver Springs. They had a velvet rope across the bottom of the stairway.

The low profile domes were about 6 or 7 inches lower than the "standard" height (15' 10") domes...

Edited by railiner