Newark, DE ready to start construction for eventual SEPTA-MARC meetup

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The project will certainly help things, but I fear the red tape and funding questions will make the SEPTA-MARC meetup a long time coming.

Are there any plans to increase service on either of these lines? Otherwise transferring between the trains would be virtually impossible given both lines' weekday rush hour only service.

Are there any plans to increase service on either of these lines? Otherwise transferring between the trains would be virtually impossible given both lines' weekday rush hour only service.
This is a good question. Maybe the Newark, DE station will have to have a hotel for people making the connection. :p

On a more serious note, if this ever materializes I'm sure we'd see an overhaul in schedules. While it will never approach the service frequencies of the PHL-Trenton-NYP connection between SEPTA and NJT, I'm sure the SEPTA-MARC link-up would be a game-changer. [side note: I wonder if Amtrak might present a bureaucratic obstacle since they would potentially lose thru-passengers on this portion of the route.]

All that said, I wonder if Newark (DE) is even the most logical place for a transfer to occur. It would force people in Wilmington (for example) to take a train a few miles west and then immediately transfer. OTOH, I'm not sure if the Wilmington station would have the operational capacity to host two commuter railroad terminals plus Amtrak thru-trains.

On a more serious note, if this ever materializes I'm sure we'd see an overhaul in schedules. While it will never approach the service frequencies of the PHL-Trenton-NYP connection between SEPTA and NJT, I'm sure the SEPTA-MARC link-up would be a game-changer. [side note: I wonder if Amtrak might present a bureaucratic obstacle since they would potentially lose thru-passengers on this portion of the route.]

All that said, I wonder if Newark (DE) is even the most logical place for a transfer to occur. It would force people in Wilmington (for example) to take a train a few miles west and then immediately transfer. OTOH, I'm not sure if the Wilmington station would have the operational capacity to host two commuter railroad terminals plus Amtrak thru-trains.
I wouldn't expect that Amtrak would present much of an obstacle, since I think a fair share of the riders that would transfer between SEPTA & MARC probably aren't riding Amtrak on a regular basis. They will certainly want infrastructure improvements and charge as much as they do for commuter trains else where on the NEC.

As for the most logical transfer place... Maybe not, but operationally, barring re-configuring Wilmington and the tracks around there, I think it makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
The location isn't just for transferring between the two systems. The station is located next to UD's STAR campus. They hope workers at the businesses in the STAR campus to utilize the two trains for their commutes. Plus, I think for workers at Aberdeen who live in DE.

The location isn't just for transferring between the two systems. The station is located next to UD's STAR campus. They hope workers at the businesses in the STAR campus to utilize the two trains for their commutes. Plus, I think for workers at Aberdeen who live in DE.
Good points. I would have to assume that UD students might also find having these options convenient.

One thing I can give some insider info on. The trains that I've been on that serve Newark see many people commuting between Wilmington, Churchmans Crossing, and Newark. It's not uncommon at all. But it should be mentioned that Septa crews despise having to go to Newark. The only time they like going there is if they're on an express train. As it helps the long trip go by much quicker. Crews are qualified to BACON interlocking. But that is a rare trip. Very rare. It should also be noted that Septa trains don't have bathrooms. I believe that some MARC cars have restrooms. And crews are qualified on most of the NEC IINM as they are run by Amtrak crews out of D.C. Zone 2.

And groundbreaking has taken place.

www.newarkpostonline.com/news/article_3e080474-c70d-574e-9044-e9f42c379189.html

And groundbreaking has taken place.

www.newarkpostonline.com/news/article_3e080474-c70d-574e-9044-e9f42c379189.html
http://www.newarkpostonline.com/news/article_3e080474-c70d-574e-9044-e9f42c379189.html

(You need that http:// thingie to make the link work.)

Thanks for this post and the linked article.

Two phases, so the parking lot and intersection by this time next year, the new station by January 2020. All subject to possible delays, of course. But even with all due skepticism, this is good news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see some money and plans thrown behind this resolution.

https://www.delawarepublic.org/post/lawmakers-seek-link-regional-rail-new-newark-train-station
A resolution in the General Assembly would direct DelDOT to work with Maryland and Pennsylvania, Amtrak and other regional entities to strengthen the rail service across all three states.

The goal is to fill a 20 mile gap in service for regional rail, the area between Newark and Perryville, Maryland.

With the new Newark rail station slated to open next year, lawmakers hope to connect the Maryland Area Regional Commuter train service with SEPTA at that hub.

Citing a budget shortfall due to the coronavirus, the Governor of Maryland vetoed the MARC expansion bill. This threatens MARC service to NRK as well as MARC run through service to Virginia.

https://ggwash.org/view/77559/gov-h...nsion-bill-maryland-democrats-vow-to-override
On May 7, Hogan vetoed 37 of those bills, including HB (House Bill) 1236, or the MARC Train Expansion of Service Act, an ambitious proposal to expand the scope of Maryland’s MARC (Maryland Area Rail Commuter) commuter rail system.

The bill, sponsored by Jared Solomon (D-Montgomery), primarily calls for the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) and the Maryland Transit Administration to study running Penn Line trains through their current southern terminus at Union Station in Washington, DC, all the way to Alexandria Union Station in Virginia.

A pair of amendments, added shortly before the bill became the final bill to pass the State Senate on the final day of session, called for the MTA to study running Penn Line trains between their current northern terminus at Perryville in Cecil County and Newark, Delaware, where they’d be able to interchange with Philadelphia’s SEPTA Commuter Rail Service, and to explore building a rail connection between the two MARC lines which run through Baltimore City, the Penn and Camden Lines.

Back