Empire Builder Route and Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone! Thank you for your sage advice in advance. I did a search of my topics over the forum and didn't find quite what I was looking for; but if any of these topics have already been discussed elsewhere please let me know so as to not be repetitive.

I'm a Florida resident but each May I travel to Cleveland, OH for work, and I always take a week or so of vacation afterwards and have a little rail adventure - two years ago, it was to Niagara Falls, ON, and last year it was to visit family in Chicago, IL. This year I'm hoping to make a true long distance trek and visit Seattle, WA and Portland, OR, for sightseeing and visiting a few friends out west - followed by flying back home. I'm also hoping to make a day stopover at Grand Forks, ND, to visit Northwest Angle, MN via rental car (northernmost point of the 48 states - little bucket list item). I'd then be hopping back on the train to complete the trip to the West Coast.

I am usually a very budget conscious person when I travel and so I'm planning on staying in a hotel in ND which should keep me rested enough to ride coach the remaining 36 hours to Seattle. (I'm in my 20s and work night shift often anyway.)

I know I'll be sorely tempted around the 14 hour mark though. I've looked at riding coach for the majority of the ride and only having a roommette ticket upgrade for a portion of 6-10 hours at some point - but it doesn't seem to be much of a discount compared to just having the roommette the whole trip. Does anyone have recommendations on trying to save and only having a roommette for a portion of the trip?

Second - and I know this may be taboo to mention, apologies if it is - I've heard a few tales that long distance coach veterans know that there are certain areas of the train which are technically "closed" at night that if you're a quiet guest, you can manage to sprawl for a few hours late at night (i.e. The Observation car). Is this wishful thinking or could I really snag a few hours of a nap at night there rather than my coach seat?

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

You might look at a roomette from Whitefish to Seattle because rooms clear out there due to people taking the train to Glacier. Some days can be fairly inexpensive and you'll get breakfast in the morning too. I think it could be difficult to leave a roomette and go back into coach. As far as sleeping nooks I don't know about that although I've heard of it.

It has been my experience that passengers do sprawl out in the Sightseer Lounge AKA Observation car. You may or may not know this but the train is split at Spokane and the Sightseer Lounge goes with the Portland portion of the train and thus is not available after Spokane on the Seattle half. Usually Amtrak personnel have no problems with overnight passengers sleeping there though I have seen conductors wake them up promptly at 6AM.

Some people sleep in the lounge, usually curled up in a corner away from the tables. Be prepared to be awakened around 5:30 or so, when people are up and ready for breakfast. The lounge tends to start filling up around that time too, as people are waiting for the dining car to open. A conductor may awaken you and ask you to move so people can sit down.

I've seen people do this on all of my trips, and it doesn't bother me unless they're taking up space and people are trying to sit down. Some people on this forum get super riled about "lounge lizards", but I figure if the lounge is empty all night, you can certain occupy a little corner until it's time to wake up and make room for people. Perhaps set an alarm on your phone so you're up and ready before the breakfast rush.

You may or may not know this but the train is split at Spokane and the Sightseer Lounge goes with the Portland portion of the train and thus is not available after Spokane on the Seattle half.
I forgot about this. That would be quite a surprise if the OP is going to Seattle first.

You might look at a roomette from Whitefish to Seattle because rooms clear out there due to people taking the train to Glacier. Some days can be fairly inexpensive and you'll get breakfast in the morning too. I think it could be difficult to leave a roomette and go back into coach. As far as sleeping nooks I don't know about that although I've heard of it.
Good advice. And if you have any schedule flexibility at all, check Amsnag for days when roomettes are priced lower.

The lowest Roomette upcharges (using AmSnag) are (to SEA): $216 @ GFK; $216 @ DVL; $212 @ RUG; $208 @ MOT; $193 @ STN; $186 @ WTN; $170 @ WPT; $165 @ GGW; $153 @ MAL; $145 @ HAV; $129 @ SBY; $129 @ CUT; $112 @ BRO, GPK, ESM, WGL and WFH.

Unfortunately I don't know if these are the same as the additional sleeper upcharge - seems like they would be, but I just don't know for sure. BTW, the search date was 15 May for 30 days. And consider that waiting 14 hours after departing GFK to upgrade to a Roomette means you'll miss the included breakfast and lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lowest Roomette upcharges (using AmSnag) are (to SEA): $216 @ GFK; $216 @ DVL; $212 @ RUG; $208 @ MOT; $193 @ STN; $186 @ WTN; $170 @ WPT; $165 @ GGW; $153 @ MAL; $145 @ HAV; $129 @ SBY; $129 @ CUT; $112 @ BRO, GPK, ESM, WGL and WFH.

Unfortunately I don't know if these are the same as the additional sleeper upcharge - seems like they would be, but I just don't know for sure. BTW, the search date was 15 May for 30 days. And consider that waiting 14 hours after departing GFK to upgrade to a Roomette means you'll miss the included breakfast and lunch.
If sleeper cost is $216 ex GFK and $112 ex BRO, as a single passenger I would happily let go of the included breakfast and lunch. No two meals in Dining Car are worth $104!!

Considering scheduled time for BRO is 6.28pm, you should be able to get dinner included in sleeper cost too, going for one of the last seatings that usually go as late as 8pm.

Last edited by a moderator:

If sleeper cost is $216 ex GFK and $112 ex BRO, as a single passenger I would happily let go of the included breakfast and lunch. No two meals in Dining Car are worth $104!!

Considering scheduled time for BRO is 6.28pm, you should be able to get dinner included in sleeper cost too, going for one of the last seatings that usually go as late as 8pm.
Unfortunately BRO will be closed in favor of east glacier at that time of year...

The Conductors do ask those sleeping in the SSL to not sleep in the center aisle or downstairs. On the TE I saw a Conductor loudly announce no laying on the floors or across the seats when I came to the SSL about 6:00AM. People grumbled and complained, but most complied. I took a seat to allow my traveling partner privacy to get dressed. We like to eat breakfast as the sun rises.

Thanks everyone for the advice! After some consideration, I've booked coach all the way from (Sat early morning) Cleveland - (Sat afternoon) Chicago - (Mon late morning) Portland - (Mon night) Seattle. Very excited and will continue scouring the forum for best tips! Decided to hold off on trying to do a ND stopover. I'll have a 9 hr pause between trains in Portland on Monday that will give me a little time to explore, before spending two days in Seattle before flying home. Currently researching hostels in Seattle (torn between the American Hotel Hostel and the Hotel Seattle Hostel). Thanks again!

Back