First time riding long distance (Texas Eagle)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
Reading about you all's experiences riding Amtrak LD has made me book one of my own. In May I'll be riding the NB Texas Eagle from FTW to CHI and transferring to the Pere Marquette en route to GRR. I've booked a roomette on the TE and business class on the PM. I've only ridden the PM and Heartland Flyer in the past, both in coach. This will be my first experience on an LD train.

I've been reading the tips posted on the site and feel quite comfortable with this trip--no worries about luggage, room specifications, safety, or the basics of meal service. I'm a 21 year old college student, and my comfort needs are relatively few. What, specifically, should I know or prepare for with this trip? What sights should I look out for on the route? What's your review of the TE podcast guides? Any tips for the Metro lounge in CHI?

Thanks for making AU the invaluable resource that it is! :D

You will be able to see north central Texas into northeast Texas before it gets dark. In the morning you will be arriving St; Louis. When you leave St. Louis you will cross the Mississippi River and you will have a great view of the Arch and the city of St. Louis. In Springfield you will see the Illinois State Capitol. After Springfield you will follow I-55 north toward Chicago. Enjoy the meals in the Dining car. I love talking with people from all over the USA and from other countries. I always get to the diner when it first opens in the morning to see the sun come up while eating breakfast. Use the SSL for the best views, but your 6 foot window in your room will give you a great view as well. The ML in Chicago is a great place to wait for your next train. They have refreshments, snacks, restrooms, comfortable seating, etc. I hope you have a great trip. Check out the Trip Guide for the Texas Eagle downloadable from the Amtrak site. If you will have several electronic devices, take a power strip with you since there is only one outlet with only one plug in. I always carry items like small high power flash light, screw driver, needle nose pliers, HD tape. you never know what you might need to do in the room. You can check out some of the You Tube video of the Texas Eagle to see the train inside and some of the sights along the way.

If the TE is on time and arrives at 1:52 you might catch the end of the 12:30 snacks in the Metro Lounge.

The new CHI Metro Lounge has a couple of showers too.

I'll be riding the TE in early May myself.

I'm getting on the TE in LA in early May.

I have a roomette from LA to Alpine, TX, but will then be in coach from Alpine to Chicago - 2 nights.

I'm 65 yrs old and will probably spend the 2 nights sleeping in the SSL car (Lounge Lizard).

My trip is staring in Galesburg, IL on the Southwest Chief on a Monday.

Wednesday we will get to, and I will depart from, LA that night at 10 pm.

Friday we will be in Ft. Worth, and early Saturday afternoon we will get to Chicago - if we are on time.

One tip that may help is that while you won't see a sign that says this, don't seat yourself in the dining car. Wait until you are either told where to sit or to sit anywhere.

If you are a light sleeper, you might find having some soft earplugs helpful.

I travel on the train by myself.

With the seats made into a bed there is not much space between the edge of the bed and the door to the roomette.

I found trying to dress having such a limited space to work with a hassle.

Since it's just me I have the option of sleeping in either of the 2 bunks.

Now when I have a roomette I sleep in the upper bunk and leave the roomette seats in their Day configuration.

I have more room to maneuver when I get up and don't have to wait for the TA-SC (Train Attendant-Sleeper Car) to come and re-configure the seats into their Day mode.

When I travel on a Viewliner, I sleep in the upper since the upper has windows, but on the Superliners, I always sleep on the lower. I am one who like to look outside when I wake up to see where we are. Also, sometimes I just enjoy watching the scenery on a moon lit night.

In the morning, I let the SCA know I have gone to Breakfast so they can make up the bed. Sometimes we talk when the bed is made down, I tell them I usually go to breakfast around 6:30. I have never had a problem coming back to the room not made up. The only exception is the SCA who is only present to expect a tip upon departure.

Another note: Though all meals are included with the sleeper, tipping is not included. I generally leave a couple dollars for breakfast and lunch, more at dinner depending on what I have ordered.

Do they serve dinner on the Texas Eagle between Fort Worth and San Antonio?

I recall the dining car crew used to get off in Austin, but I'm not sure if that is the case anymore.

As of last spring they served dinner between Fort Worth and San Antonio. But I haven't been on yet this year.

Dinner starts Very Early on #21/#421, the first seating (requires a rez)after leaving FTW if the train is on time will be 500pm around Temple.

Last call is in Austin after the Station stop and Service stops after the San Marcos stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the train is close to being on time, you can board the 421 sleeper at SMC and immediately have dinner. Even though the train was an hour late, I boarded at SMC, the SCA asked if I wanted dinner, they had a space ready if I wanted to eat. I think this applies just to 421.

Thanks for the tips, Lonestar and Don! I'm looking forward, perhaps most of all, to meeting people in the dining car.

And safe travels, KmH! I might emulate your bunk setup :)

Have a great trip!! I am a list person, but I always suggest this so nothing is forgotten. Like a GPS on a suction cup for the window with an AC adapter, surge protector strip, small flashlight, cell phone charger cable, headphones if you watch or listen for privacy, the Amtrak APP loaded on your cell, backup copy of your ticket if coverage isn't available. Though I rarely use it, I always carry a bottle of water with a few snacks (apple, packages of crackers or cookies). Copy of the Texas Eagle Route Guide. I have as kindle loaded for reading, though I usually listen to music and enjoy the scenery, day and night. I pack so I can easily change and get cleaned up in the morning without searching through my bag. I have a bag in my bag with everything I need. If hotel and rental cars have been reserved, again I always do a hard copy just in case I end up in no coverage or I run out of power. Hope this helps your preparation and also helps you enjoy your trip more. Have a great time.

I really liked the podcasts with their mix of history, trivia, local lore. I was surprised they cover the entire TE distance. I wish some of the other LD trains had them.

I am one who like to look outside when I wake up to see where we are.
I like to know where we are too, but I'm usually up before dawn making a look out the window a tough way to tell where we are.

While I sleep my laptop is 'downstairs' recording GPS info. So once I bail out of the upper bunk I look at where we are, how fast we're going, and what altitude were are at on the map display.

Thanks again, everyone, for your suggestions and knowledge. I'm excited to board in Fort Worth today, spend time in Chicago tomorrow, and arrive in West Michigan tomorrow night!

There may be a delay. There is a bus bridge in effect between Cleburne and Ft. Worth according to a post on Trainorders.

22 shows on the Map at FTW, but says 43 min late at Cleburne. 21 shows on the Map at Cleburne, but says at FTW early. Yep, looks like they bused between the two consists to keep schedules. Must have been a derailment.

22 has boarded all passengers boarding at Fort Worth. The Conductor informed us that the thruway buses have just arrived from Cleburne. A dump truck hit a rail bridge support and compromised the integrity of the structure, so all trains on the line were halted, including the SAS-FTW TE (421 and 422?). I'm enjoying my roomette, although I think I'll like it more once we're moving :)

Back