Empire Builder - Family Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleB

Train Attendant
We are planning a trip from MN to Whitefish, MT on the Empire Builder. We want a sleeper and the family bedroom is less expensive that the roomette. Has anyone been in the family bedroom and how are the views? I have only been in the upper level sleepers and we loved those views. The added space would be great, but the view is important to us. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Book it now before it sells!

I just traveled on the Empire Builder and booked the Family Room for myself as a special treat. It's nice to have windows on both sides, but the small windows do restrict your view somewhat. As on any train, if you really want to view the scenery the Sightseer Lounge is the place to go. I especially enjoy the overall spaciousness and the wide lower berth to sleep on. It's also more private downstairs, and close to three toilets, the shower, and the luggage rack.

I love the family bedroom. Windows on both sides, the view is fine. It's quiet and private and close to the showers and bsthrooms. I

If the Family bedroom is cheaper than a roomette, you had better take it now. Generally, the Family Room is just under the cost of two Roomettes. Though when demand is high, the family room can be almost the same as a bedroom.

I prefer to be downstairs because it's easy to step on and off at quick stops. I don't notice difference in the views. I wouldn't have known about this except one time I was assigned a downstairs room and I considered calling to change it. I'm glad I didn't and now I call to ask for downstairs.

Did the fam bedroom on the Cap Limited with my wife and service dog. Lots of room. We usually book a full bedroom but my dog was recovering from a broken hind leg and we didn't think he should go up and down the stairway to the upper level. It was fine, although we really prefer being upstairs. Yes, being downstairs was very convenient for station stops to walk the dog.

I liked the family bedroom for the space and the beds. But I do like those big windows and view upstairs. Close call.

For me the big windows and being higher up win out, so we take 2 Roomettes across from each other. Also, the girls are now teens, so bedding for 4 Adults is difficult in the Family Room.

Ok, booked the family bedroom. But now the bedroom opened for the same price. Too many choices. My own bathroom sounds wonderful, but would I miss the space?

The view is supposed to be great in MT, but what is better? Views from both sides, or only one view and maybe it's the wrong side. Of course we can always go to the viewing car in either room. But chilling in my pjs watching the scenery go by sounds very relaxing.

Ok, booked the family bedroom. But now the bedroom opened for the same price. Too many choices. My own bathroom sounds wonderful, but would I miss the space?
I prefer the bedroom. Having my own restroom is extremely important to me.

In the bedroom, you can look out the window in the door to the window along the hallway. I have done that on the CZ during a fall trip. I really valued the 6 foot wide windows on both sides in the Bedroom.

Ended up switching to the Bedroom for our return trip. By this morning the bedroom for our outbound leg jumped in price. Now we can experience both rooms.

Back