A modern Floridian in HO.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, I know, the Floridian died in 79, strangled to death by the AutoTrain and tripping over bad track. But the trainblends itself well to an area my local Model Railroad Club models, so hear me out. Since this is strictly historical fiction, aI have some wiggle room to do what I want, but I'd like to keep it somewhat plausible.

Lets assume the boat anchor that was the Louisville AutoTrain was cut away and the train returned to the more usable Louisville Station ;)

Truthfully, I tried.to build a consist out of single level cars. I kept that train mostly to the ratio of the Cardinal, just rearranged somewhat to better fit the Floridian's operating scheme. That train looked like this: [the bracketed part represwnting the St. Petersburg section]

P42-P42-Baggage-[Viewliner-AmCafe-Amfleet]-Amfleet-Amfleet-Amfleet-Ocean View-Heritage Diner-Viewliner

It just didnt feel right. Possibly, my disgruntlement came from a lack of free-rolling Amfleet cars in HO. So I have now decided I want to try a Superliner version.

What I came up with is ratio'd from the Texas Eagle. Again, somewhat rearranged.

P42-P42-[sleeper-Coach/Baggage-Sightseer]-Diner-Sightseer-Coach/Baggage-Coach-Coach-Sleeper-Transition Sleeper

The second lounge allows the Floridian to carry snack bar capabilities for the St. Pete secrion, which rhe original also had. But cpuld a Sightseer even do that? Also, the dual Bag Coaches allow chexked baggage on both sections. But is that even neccesary?

Having been a dead train for 35+ years, its hard to say what traffic levels would even be like, but does this seem like enough capaxity, or too much capacity even, for the train? And would have gone to Superliners like was rumored before its demise, and like its AutoTrain counterpart, or stayed single level like the Meteor and Palmetto? And would the dualing lounges run that close together, or should one of thrm be further back, between the Miami section's Coach and Sleeper sections? Also, the Trans. Sleepers are almost always at the front ut seems, but that gets in the way of the Petersburg section. Is it okay to run the Trans. On the back, or does there need to be a buffer to keep the Superliner diaghrams from hitting the back of the loco?

I open the floor to some of you, more experienced guys, what would a Floridian lookvlike in your hands?

I don't think there would be two lounge cars. Only the Auto Train has two lounge cars. I would substitute a coach for the St. Petersburg lounge. The Empire Builder separates into two sections and has sleepers at both ends.

the Eagle has a sleeper on each end too, when it runs with the through set for thr Sunset.

Then, does the St. Pete go without food service then, or is there a better car to substitute in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I guess take the lounge should go to St. Petersburg for food service and the diner goes to Miami--same as the Empire Builder. So the St. Pete section is sleeper, coach/baggage, coach, and SIghtseer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back