Steam on the Main

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
N&W 611

APR 22,23 Greensboro, NC-Roanoke, VA

May 6,7 Lynchburg, VA-Petersburg, VA

May 27-29 Roanoke to Lynchburg

May 27-29 Roanoke to Radford

NKP 765

Slight rumblings will update when Things go public.

SP 4449

Confirmed mainline run occurring. Not sure when or where. Summer

MILW 261

Confirmed mainline run occurring. Not sure where or when. Springtime. But definitely while 611 is running.

ATSF 3751

Nothing that I know of but last year before rebuild so you can expect to see it out somewhere.

SPS 700

Down for rebuild.

UP 844

Cheyenne Frontier Days Train. Summer.

I'm putting #4449 on the front burner. They don't run many trips like this.. the last chance for a trip like this was 2011 I think.

I had the opportunity to see 4449 in action as it made its way through my neck of the woods, Eastern Washington, as it was on its way to, if memory serves, Michigan in 2009. At one point, west of Spokane, it ran right along I-90, and the shoulder of the freeway was crowded with vehicles as their occupants stopped to get photos. The shoulders of interstate freeways are supposed to be for emergencies only; a rare chance for a photo op of a working steam locomotive sounds like an emergency to me!!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of you may have heard some old time steam fans grudgingly accept the ALCO 'PA' diesel locomotive as "an honorary steam locomotive".....

well some wag I used to know back in Denver, referred to the Daylight 4449 as "an honorary diesel locomotive".... :lol:

(colorful streamlined livery, mars type headlight, air horn, etc.).....

Chicago should beware the Ides of March. I think you will see a part of a route that people in Illinois historically had as a corridor up till 1978. And they would like to restore parts of this route as well. And it isn't quite the route they want as it isn't part of a Union crew.

NKP 765 Berkshire

JUN 17,18 the Joliet Rocket

Joliet to Chicago. Upon arrival at La Salle street station passengers will detrain and will have a festive gala for passengers only. There will be live music, food, and costumed entertainers. Passengers are encouraged to wear their best vintage costume. There will be a prize for best dressed. Tickets start at 109. Two trains a day. I'll see you there.

More excursions to be announced later.

There will be another steam engine in Chicago around the same time.

UP 844

4/18 Cheyenne to Rock Springs WY

4/19 Rock Springs to Pocatello, ID

4/20 display day Pocatello, ID

4/21 Pocatello to Gooding, ID

4/22 Gooding, ID to Boise, ID

4/23 display Boise

4/24 Boise to Pocatello

4/25 Pocatello to Ogden, UT

4/26 display Ogden, UT

4/27 Ogden to Rock Springs, WY

4/28 Rock Springs to Cheyenne, WY

No passengers on this trip.

More information for detailed times upsteam.com

College World Series

UP 844 will be at Union Pacific Home Plate at 12th and Cuming St

JUN 17 to JUN 28

There should be another steam engine in the area as well at the same time. Schedules to be posted soon.

Frontier Days Train

July 22 Denver to Cheyenne. This is a passenger excursion with tickets that aren't on sale yet.

UP 844

4/18 Cheyenne to Rock Springs WY

4/19 Rock Springs to Pocatello, ID

4/20 display day Pocatello, ID

4/21 Pocatello to Gooding, ID

4/22 Gooding, ID to Boise, ID

4/23 display Boise

4/24 Boise to Pocatello

4/25 Pocatello to Ogden, UT

4/26 display Ogden, UT

4/27 Ogden to Rock Springs, WY

4/28 Rock Springs to Cheyenne, WY

No passengers on this trip.

More information for detailed times upsteam.com

College World Series

UP 844 will be at Union Pacific Home Plate at 12th and Cuming St

JUN 17 to JUN 28

There should be another steam engine in the area as well at the same time. Schedules to be posted soon.

Frontier Days Train

July 22 Denver to Cheyenne. This is a passenger excursion with tickets that aren't on sale yet.
So the Frontier Days Train is the only one that will be carrying passengers?

I would love to ride the train on 19 April, for the rare mileage over the Oregon Short Line segment, from Granger, Wy., to McCammon, Id......the part that the Pioneer never traveled, except for a rare detour due to a derailment, or some other disaster...

The City of Portland did travel that route...

Correct the only one accepting passengers is the frontier days train. And it is super hard to get a ticket for. In fact I believe it already has a waitlist

Gee Chicago is going to be a steamy place in June. I'm hearing rumblings about a second engine in addition to NKP 765 coming in for Franklin park Rail Days. And it won't require Any Amtrak power of it runs like it has in the past.

Tickets are now on sale for the Joliet Rocket. I'm the first three hours we have sold half of our first class seats out. And sold 33 percent of all four trains inventory.

If anyone is wanting a ticket for the Joliet Rocket tickets are selling rapidly. Last night we had sold 43 percent today we are at 76. The morning rocket which connects with Amtrak No. 300 from STL and 301 from Chicago are sitting at 86 percent sold. There should be another car being added in the next day which will add 56 seats at 249 a ticket.

and now we have #261 in the mix too. Very busy summer for Steam fans!

Glad to hear the Joliet tickets are selling fast... I think the plan for making the train an "Instagrammable" event is brilliant.

Back