Fort Lauderdale...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi Folks,

Norweigan Air offer a cheap flight from London to FLL airport, which is one airport I know nothing about.

It seems quite appealing to leave the winter behind in UK just now, and arrive in Florida... :)

Has anyone any knowledge or tips of how to connect from the airport to Miami or Amtrak? I am imagining staying at an airport or nearby hotel for the first night, then heading off.

Thanks in advance!

Ed.

For both, unless I can locate a shuttle that goes to the TriRail station, I would take a taxi from the airport to the Fort Lauderdale TriRail/Amtrak station. It really is not that far. To go to Miami take TriRail which offers at least hourly service most of the day and goes to the Multimodal Center at Miami International Airport, connecting there with the Metro. Both the Silver Service Amtrak trains stop at Fort Lauderdale to pick up northbound passenger and drop off those arriving from the north.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you seem to indicate you're not wanting to explore Miami,just spend a night before heading out on Amtrak, most of the hotels around the Miami Airport are cheaper "in Season" and will pick you up in their shuttle Eddie.

And as jis said, you can then take a cab or Uber/Lyft to the TriRail/Amtrak Station in the morning.

Thanks to both for that info. One "ambition" would be to go by Greyhound from Miami to Key West. I have visited Miami city itself before. Having spotted the cheaper flight, I am now looking to see what can be "built" into any proposed trip...

As always, I want to globe trott on peanuts!

Cheers,

Ed.

Thanks to both for that info. One "ambition" would be to go by Greyhound from Miami to Key West. I have visited Miami city itself before. Having spotted the cheaper flight, I am now looking to see what can be "built" into any proposed trip...

As always, I want to globe trott on peanuts!

Cheers,

Ed.
A number of tour companies provide Miami - Key West day trips. I found the tour we took on TripAdvisor. Cost was about $75, standard touring motorcoach picks you up from your hotel at the crack of dawn and gets you to Key west by about 9 or 10 AM. Pickup for return is about 5:30 PM, and you get back to Miami about 9 PM. On the way out, there's a breakfast stop at the end of the Turnpike in Homestead. I think you can stay overnight, you just arrange to return on a bus on a subsequent day. They'll sell you discounted activity tickets, such as a ride on the tour "trolley" or a snorkeling trip out to the reef, etc. It wasn't a bad trip, but I think I would have preferred to drive down and stop and see some other things in the Keys along the way. On the other hand, the traffic on the Overseas Highway (US 1) was pretty heavy, and it was nice to leave the driving to someone else.

Thanks for that Key West info. I did check the Greyhound schedules, and a day trip was possible, but an earlier start and more time at Key West by tour bus seems a better option.

Cheers,

Ed.

What restaurant would you recommend and why? Seafood, Italian, and a steakhouse type cuisine is what I most prefer.

Anthony's Runway 84 attracts. Opinions? Blue Moon Fish Co. attracts. Opinions? Sea Watch on the Ocean is a venue that I have patronized several years ago. I was pleased. 2019 opinions?

Based upon a recommendation on the Cruise Critic Message Board for Florida and researched through Tripadvisor, I dined one evening at Casa D'Angelo. Located on US 1 (North Federal Highway) in a strip mall type facility. Hmm-I thought when I saw its location, but the Tripadvisor's recommendation was #3 of that type. And, the person recommending it was one's whose posts and comments I have come to respect over recent years.

I pulled into the parking lot--in rain--and the parking valet met me quickly with an umbrella. I entered the restaurant and immediately felt underdressed. The bar was at the left of the entrance and there were many gentlemen dressed: suit/tie.

The Maitre D' welcomed me and seated me. Because I was early, the well dressed gentlemen were there for their HH before dinner. Many others, dressed as I was--smart casual--arrived and I felt more comfortable as to attire.

An appetizer platter at no cost was presented and was delicious. The wine menu was overwhelmingly huge. I prefer a white wine and spoke with my Waiter what I liked and was presented with an excellent white French wine.

My choice from the menu was delicious.

I was most pleased with my dinner. The location was easy to get to driving from the Fort Lauderdale North Marriott Hotel. Returning to the hotel, on a rainy evening, was also stress-free.

Back