Sign in to follow this  
Saddleshoes

KCY?

Hey Train Fans

I'm going to Kansas City next month via the SWC.

I am asking for suggestions on Hotel/Motels near the train station as well as a suggestion for some KC Barbecue.

Thanks!

If you're interested in/willing to travel a bit beyond the station/downtown area, Joe's Kansas City BBQ is a great option as well. There are 3 locations in the metro area, all on the Kansas side.

The BBQs within walking distance of the train station and streetcar line are mostly mediocre (Jack Stack is probably your best bet). There's a really great steakhouse though, 801 Chophouse.

Be sure to take the streetcar, it goes to most of downtown.

Edited by neroden

Jack Stack is indeed very good and highly recommend IMO.

That said, it's been a good 5 years since I've been there so hopefully it's still as good as I remember it.

If you want "authentic" KC Q head over to the old Black Entertainment District around Vine St. and chow down at the Original "Arthur Bryants" (and then visit the nearby Jazz Hall of Fame and the Negro Leagues Museum/same Building)

Everyone from Presidents to working folks goes there, Best I've had in KC!

Arthur Bryant's is very good. I prefer Gates. Gates has several locations around the city. A sweeter sauce than Arthur Bryant's but both are good. Definitely go to the Negro League Museum, Jazz Hall of Fame and Nelson Atkins Art Gallery.

Jack Stack BBQ looks to be very close to the Amtrak station. I've never eaten there but an internet acquaintance says it's very good.

Its very good, I went last year on the River Runner from St. Louis, had just under an hour before my return due to late running, but just enough time to get a take away meal and bring it back, sat in business class eating it :)