Can we check bags (when traveling in coach)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 6862

Engineer
On Friday we are using the Silver Star (think it's running from Richmond to NYP?) travelling coach, can we check our bags through to New York or do we have to have them with us?

Thanks

Any passenger can check baggage when and where check baggage service is available.
Even if they are traveling on a train where baggage service is not offered, as long as another train on that route offers it.

For example if I ride 173 from Boston to Philly, I can check my bags on 67 the night before and pick them up when I arrive.

Understood, but many stations do not handle checked bags and both the origin and destination stations have to have checked baggage service, although the OPs stations both do, fewer stations handle bags every day, it seems.

If you use baggage service where bags are carried on a train other than your train, it is important to make sure baggage service is open at your destination at the time you will arrive.

Any passenger can check baggage when and where check baggage service is available.
Even if they are traveling on a train where baggage service is not offered, as long as another train on that route offers it.

For example if I ride 173 from Boston to Philly, I can check my bags on 67 the night before and pick them up when I arrive.
Do people actually do that? I mean, I know some AU'ers have, in part (I suspect) because they want to use each and every amenity they are entitled to. But it seems like an awfully convoluted way to get your stuff from Point A to Point B.

I haven't done it more than once, but that time a friend drove me to the station the day before, I left from work (a few blocks from NYP) the next day and didn't have to drag the big bag in the rain and be there early to check it.

Do people actually do that? I mean, I know some AU'ers have, in part (I suspect) because they want to use each and every amenity they are entitled to. But it seems like an awfully convoluted way to get your stuff from Point A to Point B.
I do that for my annual New Hampshire ski trip. I ride up to Boston on Acela Express 2150, but I check my skis and other winter gear on 66 the night before. When I arrive in Boston, I pick up my gear, call Enterprise and get picked up in front of the station. On my return I take 67, so my checked bags are on on the train I'm riding.

I do that for my annual New Hampshire ski trip. I ride up to Boston on Acela Express 2150, but I check my skis and other winter gear on 66 the night before. When I arrive in Boston, I pick up my gear, call Enterprise and get picked up in front of the station. On my return I take 67, so my checked bags are on on the train I'm riding.
Seems like a good use of that service. Of course, it helps if you're situated close to the departure station, as taking an extra trip downtown isn't going to be convenient for everyone.

This thread raised a question in my brain:

Can you do partial route checking? I live at ARB, and if I was going to PDX could I carry on my bags to CHI (no checked bags on 35#s) then check them to PDX and back?

peter

Lots of people connect from points North to the Florida trains or the Crescent, I don't see why not as long as there is sufficient time in the connection, but I don't know the "official" answer.

Can you do partial route checking? I live at ARB, and if I was going to PDX could I carry on my bags to CHI (no checked bags on 35#s) then check them to PDX and back?

peter
I've checked bags to Boston on the LSL after riding up to Chicago on 302, but I'd be reluctant to try the reverse. If the train is late you might miss your connection while collecting your bags!

I've checked bags from PDX to PVD, even though I rode a Regional to PVD. I just returned to the station later to collect my bags.

Many do this in upstate NY (like from ALB, SDY or SYR), where they take an Empire Service train to NYP to connect to the Crescent or Silvers. Empire Service trains do not offer checked baggage service, but the LSL does.

I've checked bags from PDX to PVD, even though I rode a Regional to PVD. I just returned to the station later to collect my bags.

Many do this in upstate NY (like from ALB, SDY or SYR), where they take an Empire Service train to NYP to connect to the Crescent or Silvers. Empire Service trains do not offer checked baggage service, but the LSL does.
Yeah, that's a good distinction. It's a much more palatable thing to do if you only have to make *one* extra trip to the station as opposed to two.

Yep - we did this last year going from Buffalo to Orlando. We were taking the Empire Service in order to make a same day connection with the Silver Meteor. I brought the bags the day before our departure and had them sent to NYP on the LSL. Then they were put on the Silver Meteor with us to ORL. It worked perfectly!

(We had trouble with our checked luggage on the way home, but that was because it was in the aftermath of the Philadelphia derailment and there was uncertainty whether our Silver Meteor train would terminate in Washington or continue to New York, right up to about half and hour before we arrived in Washington! Our bags got checked to Washington and ended up getting taken off the train there instead of continuing on with us. But it was OK since we were just on our way home, and they arrived in Buffalo the next day.)

peter
When you get to CHI you can check your bag to PDX, no problem. But on the return, if they see you are connecting to a non-checked bag train they'll make you sign a waiver that you'll be responsible for your bag if the train is late into CHI and there may not be time to claim your bag and make your connection. Now if you're really late, it won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back